𝟎𝟐 | 𝐋𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐄𝐥𝐬𝐢𝐞 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤

Speech in italics - Sign language

Elsie Black was alone. Lazily sprawled out on the grass of her back garden. The Lupin-Black Manor was established as the most extravagant home in Godrics Hollow — much to Remus's dismay, who would've been more comfortable living in a tiny cottage than a place with more rooms than he could count. But as much as Sirius denied it, his childhood had turned him into a spoiled rich kid. Wanting to best everyone in town. Including the Potter's, whose own home claimed a close second place.

Elsie, now six years old, grew embarrassed any time someone would mention the manor. Either complimenting its beauty or calling her entitled for having it. One thing they claimed she was 'obnoxious' for was having a house elf. And while Sirius didn't particularly like Kreacher, he was well loved by Remus and Elsie — who knit him socks and bought him shoes when they once discovered him shovelling snow in the driveway. Practically blue with hyperthermia.

But one thing Elsie did like about the Manor was the garden.

During the summer it was laden with blossoming bluebells, bunnies that would feed from Remus's strawberry patch and water sprinklers that soaked her to her skin. Adjusting her white sundress, Elsie dipped a hand into the pond, relaxing at the silk-like water running through her fingers. The young girl preferred the outdoors to her room, which she only used to try and sleep in.

Ever since her father abandoned her, Elsie's nights were restless. Her nightmares waking the Lupin-Black's with hellish screams. Despite being so young at the time, images of Evelyn's death crept its way into the vulnerable night. Causing a painstaking ache to form in the front of her mind. But as the days passed, those dreams would stay dreams. And, once again, Elsie memories of that day would become nothing but a blur.

It was confusing to say the least. Elsie knew her mother died in the Wizarding war. She knew that her father was in Azkaban. And she knew that she used to loved them both dearly. But their faces remained blank and her time with them seemed non existent. There were no photos of the couple on the walls, or objects they owned on the shelves and Elsie only knew of them through the stories Sirius told.

Swishing the water tentatively, Elsie drew pictures on the surface of the algae covered pond. She found comfort in the water. That no matter what, it was always there for her to splash about in or ice skate on. But two things more reliable than water were her Uncles. Moony and Padfoot were the ones to raise Elsie, teaching her the tricky things others wouldn't. And even unconsciously, she began to mimic their mannerisms and habits.

Remus Lupin drank coffee around the full moons, when he was aggravated and in pain. But when he was happy and content, he drank tea — with two heaped teaspoons of sugar. As a result, Elsie did the same. Only with decaffeinated coffee and no sugar because Remus said it was unhealthy. Similarly, she copied the way Remus folded his socks and arranged them in colour order — a column for each occasion.