𝟎𝟒 | 𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐲𝐚𝐥

Speech in italics - Sign language

Harry Potter never thought he needed anyone else besides Elsie Black

Harry Potter never thought he needed anyone else besides Elsie Black. She listened when he talked, comforted him when he was upset, and entertained him with her witty remarks and banter. She played a fierce game of quidditch during their one on one matches and constantly let Harry win just because she knew he liked the bragging rights. But now, after getting to know Ron Weasley, Harry realised he needed something more.

A friend that would actually talk back.

So a small, slightly guilty, part of him was glad when Elsie left to get changed. And an even bigger part of him was glad when Malfoy showed up.

Harry looked like a hero turning down his request to be friends and defending Ron against their cruel remarks. Plus, the way he squared up to Goyle implied to Ron that Harry could fight — which, unfortunately, wasn't actually true.

Scabbers bit the chubby lad before Harry had the chance to raise a fist anyway, causing the group so scatter and squawk like birds.

The Chosen One was just relieved he didn't have to go through the embarrassment of getting his arse kicked. Which was inevitable due to the fact Goyle was twice his size.

"Cheer up mate, Malfoy's a prick." He reassured Ron, whose face was still beet red with anger. "Besides, even if Scabbers wasn't around to bite Goyle, him and Crabbe would've fallen over from the weight of their own bellies before being able fighting us."

Ron snorted and Harry smiled, proud to of lifted his spirits. "He's as much of a twat as Fred said he'd be. His father was a Death Eater you know, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes one too."

"Well, only bad people have hair as ridiculous as his."'Harry sniggered, a smirk pulling at the corner of his lips.

Ron took his time fussing over Scabbers, who was hiding in his trouser pocket, and Harry too the opportunity to look outside. Night had fallen, small lamps lighting the compartment and occasionally plunging it into darkness when it flickered.

He shuffled nervously — beyond excited to start school.

Harry and was determined to have more adventures than actual classes during his time at Hogwarts. He only hoped Elsie wouldn't mind Ron joining their 'Mini Marauders' missions as well.

"Wait!" He exclaimed, adjusting his newly fixed glasses. "Did you say Death Eaters? I thought they'd all been locked up."

James and Lily didn't like to talk about the war, and Harry knew not to ask. So his knowledge on the subject was hardly extensive. The only person who let him know anything was his Uncle Moony.