𝟎𝟑 | 𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬

Speech in italics - Sign language

Sirius Black never thought he'd be the one to see Elsie off for her first year at Hogwarts

Sirius Black never thought he'd be the one to see Elsie off for her first year at Hogwarts. He always imagined it being Regulus and Evelyn — each parent taking one of Elsie's hands and running through the barrier with glee. The eleven year old would be bounding with excitement and chatting nonstop in their ears, whilst Regulus simply rolled his eyes.

But as September 1st 1991 rolled around, it was Moony and Padfoot who winced at Elsie's deathly grip. "Whenever you're ready sweetheart." Sirius reassured, as the Lupin-Black's stared at the brick wall between platforms nine and ten. They had made it to Kings Cross station with fifteen minutes to spare and weren't in much of a hurry to get through.

"I think it's a new record, we're never this early!" Remus, who was looking down at his watch, said surprised. The Potter's were already on the platform as they left earlier that morning — Lily's angst not allowing them to be late.

"You can only ever be fashionable late, Moons." Sirius reminded.

"Yes, well I'm not sure Elsie wants to make a grand entrance when she misses the train and has to fly all the way to Hogwarts." Remus countered, to which Padfoot stuck his tongue out childishly.

Elsie ignored her Uncle's bickering. She was too nervous and ridden with fear to pay attention to them. She didn't want to go to Hogwarts, where she would be away from Remus, Sirius and the Potter's for months at a time. She didn't want to make new friends, content with the one she already had. And Elsie, especially, didn't want to go there after meeting Headmaster Dumbledore.

A few months ago, Elsie's breakfast was interrupted when an unexpected visitor knocked on their door. Remus looked up from his newspaper, brows furrowing in confusion. "Stay here, sweetheart." He told Elsie, getting up.

The young girl struggled to hear who it was and practically threw herself across the dining table trying to listen, but as their footsteps approached she quickly went back to eating — in a meek attempt to appear nonchalant.

"Elsie, dear, can you go upstairs for a bit. I need to talk to Professor Dumbledore alone, it's important." Remus reentered the room, followed by frail old man with a silver beard so long it could be tucked in the belt of his grey robes.

The old man peered over his half moon spectacles with a wistful gaze. "Elsie Black, it's pleasure to meet you. I've heard many things."

"All bad I hope." Sirius sauntered in, nodding his head in greeting. "Professor, you haven't aged a day."

"Well when you're 109 years old there only so many more wrinkles you can get." He smiled.