Chapter 21

Langa's POV

The moon hung low in the night sky, casting a soft glow over Reki's room as I entered through the window. I knew what Joe and Cherry said, but I just couldn't. There was no way in hell I was abandoning him. So, my heart raced, a tumultuous mix of worry and determination guiding each step closer to him. I couldn't bear the thought of Reki in pain, and as I peered through the curtains, the sight of him battered and bruised struck me to the core.

Bruises covering his face and a bandage tightly wound around his head painted a picture that filled me with rage. My lively, vibrant Reki lay on the bed, now fragile and broken. The ache in my chest intensified, but I needed to be strong for him.

Slipping into the room, the sterile scent of antiseptic lingered. It was a reminder of the harsh reality Reki was facing. I sat beside him, gently touching his shoulder. "Hey, Reki. It's me, Langa. Can you wake up for me? Please?"

Reki stirred, his eyes opening slowly. Pain and exhaustion painted his gaze as he recognized my face. "Langa?" he mumbled, his voice carrying the weight of unspeakable burdens.

"Yeah, it's me," I choked out, while attempting to keep my emotions in check. "What happened, Reki? How could he do this to you?" My concern mixed with a simmering ember of anger, but I pushed it aside for now.

Reki winced, his hand instinctively going to his bandaged head. "It's... it's nothing. Just some family stuff."

The frustration burned within me, but I held it back. "Reki, this is not nothing. You can't keep taking beatings like this. We're in this together, okay? You don't have to face it alone."

A flicker of solemn gratitude crossed Reki's eyes. "I didn't want to drag you into this mess, Langa."

I shook my head, my determination unwavering. "You're not dragging me into anything. I'm with you dummy, infinitely."

Reki hesitated, his gaze distant. "I... I was going to leave. But if I do, my father will go after my mother and sisters, or he might... he might kill me. I thought my only choice was to stay and take it."

My fists clenched even tighter. "Reki, no. You can't stay in this hell hole. We'll find a way out, together. I won't let him hurt you or your family. I'd give my life before I let anything like that happen! Do you understand?."

Tears welled up in Reki's eyes, and he looked at me with a mix of pain and longing. "Langa, I..That's what I'm afraid of. I couldn't live with myself if you got hurt because of me. I didn't want you to get involved. I didn't want you to get hurt."

Cupping Reki's face gently, I wiped away a stray tear. "Reki, you mean everything to me. I've loved you from the moment we first met. Your passion for skateboarding and love for life, it's infectious. I love the way you share every moment you can with me, and how every second feels like an adventure with you by my side. Your smile, Reki...your laugh, everything about you, it's everything."

Reki's eyes widened, surprise mingling with the pain he was trying so hard to mask. "Langa..."

Holding his hand, I let my thumb gently graze over his knuckles. I became lost in his amber eyes and knew it was now or never. "Reki, can I kiss you?"

A mix of emotions crossed Reki's face, as he let out a shaky breath and he nodded.

Leaning in, I quickly closed the distance between us, pressing my lips gently against his. It was a tender kiss, filled with unspoken emotions and the promise of unwavering support. As we pulled away, I whispered, "I am so in love with you."

Reki's eyes shimmered as he responded with a hushed, "I love you too, Langa." The words hung in the air, a profound confession that echoed through the room. Tears welled up in my eyes, and I couldn't hold back the overwhelming surge of emotion.

"I've waited so long to hear you say that," I admitted, my voice cracking with raw emotion. "I love everything about you, Reki. I've never felt so alive as when I'm with you. You're my best friend and my...my love. I can't imagine my life without you. So please, you have to let me help you."

Reki's eyes glistened with unshed tears, mirroring the emotions swirling within me. "Langa, I never thought I'd find someone who understands me like you do. I've loved you for so long, and it scares me how much I need you."

My heart swelled with love, and I gently cupped Reki's face in my hands. "You don't have to be scared, Reki. We're in this together."

Reki nodded, a small smile playing on his lips. "Always."

As our lips met again, it was more than a kiss; it was a culmination of endless unspoken feelings. The room seemed to brighten, as if the universe itself acknowledged the love we had for one another.

We shared our tears, our fears, and our hopes in that tender embrace. The weight of the world lifted off our shoulders for a brief moment in time, as we found solace in each other's love. It was a moment, where past sorrows and future uncertainties melted away, leaving only the warmth of our shared feelings.