Flashbacks, Cold Mornings

The harsh vibrations of Fatima's pink iPhone 15 against the floors of her closet is what made her abruptly open her eyes. She blinked a few times before focusing on the 6:00 am alarm going off; instantly turning it off. Sitting up, she removed the baby blanket from her arms and neatly folded it back up and grabbed her pillow. She tossed both on her neatly made queen sized bed before making her way to the bathroom.

Fatima turned on the hot water first and then the cold of the shower before stripping out of her oversized T-shirt, underwear and socks. Fatima's fingers gently brushed against the now healed scars on her ankles that she had recently covered up with a series of broken heart tattoos. She doesn't quite remember the entire story behind them but remembers what was told to her.

"How much longer?" a small fragile voice called from the backseat of the Chevy Impala.

"Not much longer. You gotta go potty?"

Ponytails of loose brown curls shook back and forth " I'm hungry" she whispered fiddling with her small fingers, being careful not to take the Blues Clues band aid off.

"Okay. How about we go get something to eat before we get there?"

"Okay" her little face gleamed as they pulled up to a local McDonald's.  The slender woman opened the back door, and stepped backwards allowing the child to hop out of the car seat and onto the ground. She bent down and started scratching at her ankles where the skin was beginning to heal

"Does it hurt?" She asked, glancing down.

The five year old silently shook her head "Nope, just itchy" she pulled her sock up over the wound and  stuck her hand out.  The two walked inside of the building. Wide brown eyes scanned the pictures of food items she couldn't quite read yet but could feel her stomach growling

"...and what do you want?"

Small fingers fidgeted again "Um, can I have a happy meal please?" Her small hands immediately covered her mouth, and her head lowered "I'm sorry, that's too much?"

The woman, although confused, laughed lightly "No honey, that's okay. One happy meal please"  She paid for both of their meals and the two sat in a small booth towards the back

"Where are we going?" The small voice asked

The woman sighed in sorrow, " I'm taking you somewhere where no one can hurt you anymore." She pointed down at the little girls ankles "That should have never happened to you"

Her little shoulders shrugged "I don't really remember. Is that why I'm being moved?"

"Yes. Those people were hurting you"

"I know" she leaned her head on her propped up hand as the food made its way to their table. Her hands quickly folded in front of her as she recited a prayer "God is great, God is good, let us thank you for our food. Amen"

"Amen"

Erin's eyes scanned over the little girl and every time she would look up at her, her heart would break. She couldn't fathom the pain and trauma this little girl had endured. Budget cuts had allowed the little girls abuse to slip under the radar for almost a year. Her previous caseworker had been fired for failing to report abuse and failure to properly monitor the home. Had the school not reported so many absences, she would have been in worse condition.

The two ate lunch and got back into the state's vehicle, continuing on their journey. They pulled up to a developing neighborhood and the car came to a stop