Cupid Doesn't Lie

February 14th, 2013

"And this...this is your bed. Curfew is at 6 and lights out at 8pm. You'll get your first phone call on next Monday and the recreation room is open until 6 if you wanna play basketball or something."

She nodded and tossed her book bag on the worn down mattress and collapsed on the bed "Thanks"

"And dinner is at 5, if you wanna come down"

"Okay." Once the woman was out of eyesight, the girl closed her eyes before falling backwards on her pillow. As bad as she wanted to cry, she knew better. Everyone around her would think she was weak, or a cry baby and she would be once again fighting for her own defense. After two group homes, this was probably the one she was dreading the most. She knew nothing about Macon but she was not looking forward to her new placement.

"Heard there was someone new but I didn't think they'd put your big headed ass in my room" She looked over towards the open door and released a breath

"Girl, don't start this shit today. I'm not in the fucking mood"

The girl laughed and jumped on the bed with her "Couldn't stay away huh?"

"You said that like I'm stalking you." Fatima looked up displeased "Lori get your feet off my bag before I start swinging."

"Damn, I see Metro wasn't good to you."

She rolled her eyes "It's your fault I was in the RYDC in the first place. Watching the door for your broke ass while you stole out them people store."

"We don't all have money Fatima" She mocked.

"It's called a hustle. Try it"

"How long are you going to be here?"

Fatima shrugged "As long as I stay out of trouble. I got a new caseworker until Erin gets back from maternity leave. She's supposed to be working to get me back to Atlanta but we'll see."

"You probably the only one I know with the same caseworker since you were a kid."

"Whatever. I swear though, soon as I turn 18, foster care can kiss my ass. I'm out" she threw up her peace sign and grabbed her book bag, rummaging for a book to occupy her time

Lori shook her head "Get out and go where?"

Fatima shrugged "I wanna go back to Savannah. So I can be closer to my aunt." Fatima rolled her eyes to stop her tears that were forming "Well her grave anyway"

"It's Valentines Day..."Lori started "There's a little party in the gym tonight."

"No thanks. Holidays aren't for me. I hate this stupid made up holiday."

"It's about love th-"

Again, Fatima rolled her eyes "Love? Girl look where the hell we are. Ain't no body thinking about no damn love in a group home."

February 14th 2024

"You still getting your hair done?" Fatima looked down at the FaceTime phone call and silently shook her head at the sight. Zac, who was supposed to be going to the barbershop was still sprawled out on the couch trying to fight his sleep.