Chapter Four

When Ayşe entered the room,the Sultan stood in the middle of it accompanied by another beautiful woman. She wore a red dress with a fair amount of jewels on it with a crown even more exquisite to match.

Ayşe bowed low,"Your Highness". Her voice came out a bit breathless however she rose and lifted her head to face them. Their eyes met and she felt her cheeks heat in consciousness of her new appearance. The Sultan did not speak,his gaze just lingered over her before he very reluctantly turned to the woman before speaking,"Valide,this is Ayşe Giray,a member of the Crimean dynasty,we will be hosting her at the palace for the time being". He smiled as he spoke to her and his eyes smiled with him.

Ayşe's eyes widened and her gaze shifted to the woman. The woman whose name rings throughout the courts of many lands. The great Valide Kösem Sultan,once the Haseki of the late Sultan Ahmed. The woman gazed at Ayşe and gave her a small nod,"A fine beauty" The Sultana spoke with a softness that made Ayşe feel extremely grateful. "Valide,it is such an honour to receive praise from someone whose beauty and intellect is unmatched and as widely spoken of in many lands" Ayşe's head bowed as she spoke.

She laughed softly and she stuck out her hand. Ayşe took it and placed a kiss on it before putting it to her forehead and Kösem spoke as she did,"Not just beauty after all,what brings you to our palace?"

Ayşe let go of her hand and stepped back but she froze at the question. "Ayşe and I met under certain circumstances so I had her transferred to stay here at the palace, I had hoped that you would see to it that her needs are met,Valide," he spoke softly to her and Ayşe's eyes scanned them both. She noticed Kösem's body tense and Ayşe knew all too well why she reacted that way.

Kösem was not famous for nothing,she was known to be one of the most influential people in the empire due to her many years of regency before Sultan Murad took control of the throne. He made a public display to solidify his sole rule as Sultan and put an end to his mother's regency for good.

For a strong woman like Kösem,it was probably an uncomfortable shift. From state affairs to the affairs of the harem. Ayşe felt uneasy as she pictured herself in such a position.

"I will see to it,Murad," Kösem Sultan said as she smiled at her son and then at her. He nodded and then stared at Ayşe. "I'd like to have a talk with her,Valide while you make preparations"

Kösem Sultan trailed her eyes between the two before offering another smile and she walked away. Ayşe turned and bowed to her as she left the room and after she heard the doors close,she turned to face the Sultan again whose eyes seemed to have not shifted at all and she straightened her shoulders while staring at him.

He cleared his throat and ran a finger under his nose before his hands went behind his back and he turned to face her properly.

"Ayşe," his voice was deep and captivating. Ayşe felt odd even now when he said her name because she had grown so used to her male façade and grown accustomed to not hearing it often.

"Your Highness," Ayşe implored and awaited the Sultan's words. "Our royal attire suits you well," he coughed after he said it and Ayşe couldn't help but smile as she looked down at herself again. "I'm not as used to dressing like this, it's been some time since I've worn something like this," Ayşe flattened her palm against her stomach as if trying to get rid of a crease.

Sultan Murad watched her intently,his heart seemed to beat a little faster,it was a strange feeling that he couldn't understand. "Is there a chance you could get used to wearing it?,"he narrowed his eyes at her as he asked her.

"Perhaps, however my armour and sword are what I'm most comfortable with,"she stopped her movements and dropped her hand to the side to stare up at the Sultan whose gaze made her narrow her own eyes.