Chapter 1

The soft morning was creeping into my room through my curtains. The very first glimpses of the sun started dancing through, then the morning songbirds sounding the alarm with early breakfast for their chicks. I wanted to stay in my bed just a little while longer and not be of age. Twenty one. Today was my twenty first birthday. I'd become the Alpha to my father's pack and be able to find my mate. I rolled my eyes at the thought. I don't need a lower ranking male to be my mate. The last thing I'd do is trust an inferior with my Packs well being. Before I could daunt on the topic any longer I shot upright in bed as my mother came barreling through my bedroom door with my father tiredly in tow. She sang very off key at the top of her lungs happy birthday while shoving a small cupcake into my hands.
I looked over at my father raising and eyebrow and he only held out his arms and shrugged gesturing to my mother. Of course this would be her idea. She finished squealing and beamed down at me.

"Make a wish honey."

"Mother, we have talked about this. I don't-"

"Evangeline Lanina Freya Alessandra Marie Thorne, if you don't indulge me-"

"Okay! Okay." I huffed.

I closed my eyes and brought the candle close enough I could feel its warmth on my chin as I thought of how stupid this was. Then I blew out the candle, took it out and took a bite of the cupcake. It was absolutely horrible. I tried not to cough it up and just gave a small smile to my mom as I forced myself to swallow.

"Wow, mother this is, uh, this is great. One bite is enough for me. You know I can't afford these calories. Although it definitely tasted better than last years."

"Really? You think so? I can make your cake for the ceremony tonight-"

"NO!"

My head snapped to my father as he stood there now fully awake and he realized just how loud his outburst was.
"Honey I only mean that all six packs will be here tonight and we already hired the chefs. I think it's best we let the professionals do their job without us in the way don't you think."

"Yes that is true. I'd hate to let that deposit go to waste. Very well, let the chefs prepare. Evangeline honey, remember that all the Alphas will be here tonight. Please dress accordingly and make sure your hair and makeup is done."

I rolled my eyes but mumbled in agreement. My mother practically skipped out of my room talking nonsense of the party planners. Once I was sure she was out of ear shot I glanced over at my father who had moved to my window to open the curtains and let the sun start lighting my room. It's still early.

"I'm going to get ready to run the patrol party with the Delta, gamma and warriors."

"Alright honey. Don't be out long. Your mother will have both our hides if you're not ready and prepared for your party. She wishes for you to find your mate. She is right about dressing accordingly. The King will be here seeing as he has to approve the Ranking Ceremony."

"Does he even have the will to come down and see his peasants?"

"Hush now, he's the King and regardless of what our personal feelings are we have to respect him. He will be here. For him to not be will be considered extremely disrespectful of him. Considering how much he's taxed us and the other packs he'd be foolish to not show for this."

"I will submit to him but I will not respect a man that will not come down from his throne long enough to see how his people are suffering. We've lost too much. Great Grandfather fought in the War of the Nine leading our pack for the Kings Great Grandfather. I think our debt from the war effort is paid. Don't you?"

My father only sighed in response and left me to get ready. I slipped on a pair of slacks and a ragged shirt since I'd be shifting for patrol anyway. I ran to the pack house which at this point was a glorified barn. Since our King loved his parties and fancy things he taxed us so much to the point that are pack house had to be foreclosed, our horses, carriages, food and supplies had been taken as payment since we couldn't pay the tax he claimed was payment from the war but we all knew better.
When I was eighteen I had a beautiful Friesian horse named Midnight that the Kings men had no remorse taking. They actually laughed as I pleaded for them to allow him at least to stay. They only tried to push me aside and my response was breaking one's wrist and bolting past the other to try to get Midnight to run but his loyalty wouldn't let him. He only looked at me and rubbed his big head against me before more men grabbed him and hauled him away. Being forced to betray his legs and dragged to the Kings castle. 
I shook that terrible memory aside as I closed the barn doors behind me. The beta, delta and warriors were already huddled in a group. Once Beta Michael saw me he summoned me over. The warriors bowed their heads in respect and waited for my command. I walked up the steps and around the table that sat on a stage and looked at our maps that we had hung up along one of the sides of the barn. Its various colors depicting each territory and who ruled it.