epilogue part 2

My bed was warm, soft, and in the darkest room of this hall. It was tempting to sink back into a permanent slumber until everything settled. They could handle everything for me. Sure I could be of some help... But would I really be any help when I'm this tired? This tempted me to fall back asleep. It's better if they continue working without me, they can figure it out themselves and leave me to sleep.

But as always something temps me away from sleep. It was something warm, and very good-smelling. A nice warm rolled egg, with a side of rice, and a nice assortment of fruit in a separate bowl.

Smaller than what I would make myself, but I can't exactly complain about breakfast in bed. The tray it's on is rather nice as well, still shiny as if it was freshly polished.

As I pull myself up, finding a comfortable position to eat in, I can't help but wonder who went through the effort to make this. Lucifer had to be involved in some part, or else this food wouldn't get past my bedroom doors.

Instinctively pat the empty space in the bed next to me, searching for the figure I know isn't there. Lucifer always likes to get up early and go to bed late. I don't even think he needs sleep, not as much as I do anyway.

Whatever it is, I feel bad for whatever chef he dragged into making this for me... But I suppose it's not that much different from my normal breakfast, just made a lot earlier...

I check the glowing screen of the small clock at my bedside table, just beyond the humble tray of food.

It's far too early to be awake. The sun hasn't even cracked on the horizon yet, but the food is still warm. I guess I woke up just in time to eat it all.

When I placed the tray over my lap the scents became all the more tempting. The egg was wonderfully soft and silky with that delicate sweetness that didn't overpower but complemented the egg. Whoever made this knew what they were doing.

Their technique wasn't perfect, and the egg was unrolling at the sides but the flavor and texture were hardly anything to complain about. Especially for early in the morning, this was a wonderful treat to wake up to, and the soft bed of rice on the side only added to the meal. It was perfectly cooked, not mushy or overdone, but not crunchy. I could separate each grain with my tongue or I could leave them in easily grabbed chunks with my chopsticks.

Whoever Lucifer picked to help him did a wonderful job, and the fruit was yet another wonderful treat. The strawberry was a perfect mix of sweetness of flavor that held firm but still was ripe enough to bleed out into a perfect puree under my fangs. The melon was equally delightful, and so were the varying berries of sizes and colors.

Everything seemed perfectly picked to please me this morning.

Even as early as I woke this was a wonderful surprise.

It would be a hard gift to beat, but in time I can figure something out. Something to at the very least equal this amount of care.

But it's hard to deny that Lucifer has a leg up on romantic acts like these, even if he had someone else make the food and pick the dishes, it was still so kind. He could read me so easily, that it was almost too easy for him to win my favor.

If only he was this easy, I could pick a few flowers for him and have him eating out of the palm of my hand... But no he's more complicated than that.

After being in his host for months he still seems new to it. I should take my free time to find out what he really likes. After all, he has a clear profile on how to win my favor, so I should gather similar information on him.

Almost like clockwork, I hear the latch on my door open as the lock slides out of place, allowing the door to float open. His soft silhouette brushed against the foggy hallow of the steam that wafted from the shower room.