Chapter 12 - Groveling with a Trench Coat

12

I reappeared into the mansion's top floor at the end of the hallway where Sam and I's bedroom was located, my heeled boots clicking against the hardwood floors as I peered around the corner while wearing a long tan trench coat with my feathered bangs lightly covering my forehead, my dark hair curling behind my ears and down at the back as my deep red lips curled into a smirk. I walked down the hallway and stopped in front of the door, reaching to grab it and open it when it wouldn't budge, causing my heart to drop as I furrowed my brows in concern.

I reached up and knocked lightly on the door, waiting quietly for a response when I heard the door begin to unlock and swing open, Sam's eyes briefly flashing with confusion on his troubled face as he looked down at me, "What's with the trench coat?"

I hesitated, glancing down at the floor and shaking my head, "Before I get to that, can I ask how long have I been gone? Because- I'm gonna warn you, what I'm about to say is going to make it sound like I have completely lost my mind. And if you don't believe me, then I definitely won't blame you, but... I'm mostly here because I wanted to say I'm sorry."

Sam eased up slightly as the door slid open further, quietly inviting me in with a light gesture, "You were only gone for ten minutes... But I have some questions I'd like to ask you first."

I nodded my head softly and stepped inside past him, noticing the armchair now sitting in the space between our bed and the bathroom door, causing me to pause briefly when I glanced back, "You're right. You deserve that."

It was quiet for a moment as we both got settled, now avoiding eye-contact as we sat separately facing each other with Sam leaned forward on his knees as he sat on the edge of the bed while he glared at the floor. I shifted uncomfortably in the armchair across from him as I adjusted the trench coat over my knees, doing my best to remain silent and be patient for Sam to finally be able to look me in the eyes or speak up.

My eyes began to wander across the room, looking back towards the nightstand when I noticed an empty tumbler glass, my chest stinging with guilt as I darted my eyes down and closed my eyes.

"What was your intention of leaving the mansion on your own like that, without telling anyone where you were going? Except for Vince?"

I froze in place, suddenly realizing that showing up in lacey black lingerie underneath a trench coat may have just sealed my unintentional fate as my heart wrenched in my chest with guilt, whispering harshly to myself as I reached for my forehead, "Shit. Shit, oh my god, I'm so stupid-"

"Cat, what did you do?-"

"No, no, no- It's not that. I swear to God, it's not that- Please, can we just step outside for a minute so you can read my mind or something? I did not leave to cheat on you, that's not what happened. It's much crazier than that, believe me!"

I could sense the anger starting to bubble underneath the surface as Sam kept silent, his shoulders tensed up as he kept his head hung low while glaring at the floor as he tried to maintain some semblance of self control when suddenly the lights began to dimly flicker and I felt a low rumble stir underneath my feet.

I looked up around the room as tears blurred my vision, furrowing my eyebrows and looking back at Sam as fear struck my chest, swallowing and taking in a shaky breath before speaking up softly, "Sam?"