Part Fifteen

The Weasleys all stood, initially not saying a word, until Ron ventured forward with his thoughts. "What d'you think are the chances we know who her mum is?"

"Well, there are seven of us children, and - " she hesitated, remembering that the number had been reduced to six after Fred was killed. They all felt the silence weigh heavy over their heads. "I think the chances are great, Ron."

It was eight o'clock now, and Bill and Fleur appeared in the family room behind roaring green flames. "Charlie! I didn't know you were here!"

"That seems to be the theme," he said.

"Oh," Bill said sadly, "I see you've met Charlotte - Mum, why hasn't she been taken into the Ministry of Magic for evaluation?"

Ginny replied, irritated, "Because that's stressful publicity that she doesn't deserve. She's been through enough; we shouldn't keep dragging her places."

"Yeah, but what if the publicity is what allows her mum to find her?" he reasoned. "Ginny, we're making this much harder than it needs to be."

She bit down on her lip and frowned at the ground. "Luna and 'Mione will likely drop by with help. If we have no leads by the end of the day, I will take her there myself."

When no one replied or agreed, Ginny took her wand up and walked right out. "I just need a moment to think, so please, no one follow me."

As Ginny stepped out into the sunlight, she heard little cries. "Wait! Wait! Please take me with you!" Charlotte pleaded. "I don't know where Mummy is, but I know where you are. I'll answer anything you want."

"Oh, sweetheart, I'm not leaving you. I just need some time to think, and if you want, we can think together, how's that sound?"

"Good."

"Here, let's go over into the shade."

"It's very pretty today."

"Indeed."

"Indeed!" Charlotte chirped.

Ginny chuckled before settling into seriousness again. "Charlotte, what's your mummy like?"

"She's the bestest mummy in the world. She is pretty and is like you."

"Like me?"

"Yeah, happy like you, but only sometimes."

"Sometimes?"

"Yeah, work makes Mummy sad sometimes, like two yesterdays when work made her sad, and she lost my hankie. She doesn't like the blue flying notes, and I don't like them, and they mean she has to go to work and say goodbye to me. But I'm with Mamie sometimes and with Emilie sometimes, too."

"Charlotte, can you tell me about the blue notes? What do they look like?"

"Sometimes blue butterflies or flapping paper that I can see through."

"Does it ever look like this?" Ginny drew out her wand, "Expecto Patronum."

Charlotte's eyes grew as she watched a magnificent, crystal-blue energy trotted around her in the form of a horse. The horse whipped around both Ginny and Charlotte and danced in the grass. It was no more tangible than a ghost, and yet Charlotte craved to touch it. The moment she did, though, it slipped through her fingertips like smoke and disappeared into Ginny's wand.

"Does your mum use that magic?"

"Yes, but not a horsie. I don't know the animal."

Damn. "It's okay. So your mummy gets these blue notes. Who are they usually from?"