Part Nineteen

Hermione slowly woke to the sound of rain clouds rolling in overhead and clashing to create thunder. Though, rumbling between thunderous roars was her growling stomach. Dammit! Hermione hadn't eaten since her outing with Ginny and Luna, though it felt much longer.

But the thought of food sickened her.

How long had she been passed out?

The digital clock on her nightstand read 11:42 AM.

She slept fitfully and was plagued with dark terrors; it was a miracle she didn't have carpet lines denting the skin of her cheeks. But looking around, she wasn't sprawled out on the carpet like she thought she'd be. Had her mum moved her? Had she moved herself?

Just then, memories of last night's adventures in the abandoned alley wash her mind with newfound shame. Her fit of psychosis wasn't just a dream, she'd lived it. She shivered and drew an afghan blanket around her shoulders.

Hermione just about burst into tears again.

Was she truly losing her mind?

No! She snapped at herself. Pull yourself together. She's an intelligent girl, have faith that she's taking care of herself!

Still, the trepidation that sat in her chest like lead persisted.

What scared Hermione most was knowing that if her daughter had truly been transported to the magical world, somehow, her best course of action would be to return to the Burrow and inquire for the help of all her friends. That would not be possible without having to reveal the truth to them, which would not only be painful but also time spent not searching for Charlotte.

Not to mention, she wasn't sure that "Hey everyone, the secret love-child I had with Draco-bloody-Malfoy and hid from you for four years has gone missing. Will you help me find her?" would go over very well.

She expected push-back and anger, and possibly even an unwillingness to help. She would be alone again.

"Argh!" Hermione threw her face into her pillow, repeatedly beating herself until her frustration curdled into agony and self-pity. Until her groans turned into pitiful sobs. Until she was certain that this was what needed to be done.

She wasn't sure she could muster the strength to walk her feet toward the door and out into the hallway, but she needed to try anyway. Standing up helped her realise how frail she was, and it was devastating.

After pulling on her boots, securing the laces, and crossing the small distance from the bed to the door but at a glacial pace, several impatient taps came on the window.

She stopped in her pursuit for he door.

No doubt this was Ludy delivering the letter she told Ginny to send her yesterday. Back when she believed her daughter was at home, same. Back before, her life seemed to crumble before her eyes.

Pushing aside the curtain that barely held out the light, she was met with a wet and highly ruffled Ludmila.

The sight alone made Hermione want to dissolve into tears again.

"What do you want?" she cried, unlatching the window and pushing it out. "I have more than enough to deal with right now - I don't care that Ginny's getting married!" She added the last part bitterly, not wanting to offend the bird.

A tear fell on the parchment.

As the window opened, a second letter fell from its place wedged between the pane and the glass.

"Two letters?" She thought bitterly to herself, "What - did she get proposed to twice?"

She tore open the one Ludy gave her most recently, setting aside the other one for last.