Part 1: Poppy

Author's note:

I recommend to read Rise of the Lioness Chapter 1-7 or maybe even 1-8 before reading Poppy's side of the events for a better understanding.

If you're only here for the smut, you can of course read Eliza's story later and then come back to this if you want.

Enjoy!

Triggerwarning! NSFW! Explicit sexual content.

~~~~~~~~~~

Poppy

April 5th 1898, London

We linked arms with Eliza on the way to the pub. First of all, because we didn't want to get lost in the crowd that was still out.. And secondly, because we were no longer sober.

Eliza had obviously been shocked by our revelations, but she had played it down. I had watched her quite often over the last few years when we talked about Sebastian, and the sadness on her face had told me that she had missed him. However, I could never really figure out what exactly was going on with her. Stubborn Irish minx.

The truth was that I missed her terribly. The stupid truth was that I should never have slept with Gerard. What was I thinking?

I brushed that off. Today was Eliza's birthday, and if there was one thing this woman knew how to do, it was throwing a parties. The pub she had been talking about came into view and a redhead we knew was already waiting at the door. Garreth, his mane combed back, his hands casually shoved into the pockets of his trousers and a broad grin on his face. Eliza pushed me forward mercilessly so that I was the first person he hugged.

"Ladies," he said with a smile, then hugged Eliza and wished her a happy birthday.

Sebastian and Ominis, Natty and Garreth shared the latest events and Eliza kept giving me a goofy grin and a wink at Garreth. Where was the champagne?

A few minutes later I recognized the two of them in the crowd at Leadenhall Market. I hadn't seen Sebastian or Ominis since we graduated and raised my eyebrows in surprise. Sebastian had apparently consumed a growth potion, he was a head taller than Eliza. Ominis, on the other hand, hadn't shot up quite as much, but his face had lost all childishness and I had to swallow. I had always liked Ominis. Many had thought he was arrogant, but for some reason I had never shared that opinion. While Sebastian looked like his suit was a touch too small for him, Ominis fit like a glove in his dark gray one.

Eliza greeted them both, then Sebastian stood in front of me.

"Sallow," I said with suspicion in my voice. Ever since he gave Eliza those puppy eyes for the first time, I've wanted to kill him. He patted me on the head and grinned widely.

"Did you shrink, Sweeting?" Before I could reply, however, we were interrupted by Eliza.

"Can you please at least not fight on my birthday? Is that possible?" I closed my mouth and followed her into the pub. The pub was decorated in red and gold tones, had beautiful booths, chandeliers and a dance floor.

"Hey," a voice suddenly said behind me and I turned around. Ominis held my arm and I could look directly into his pale blue eyes as they stared past me into space. I blushed, grateful for the first time that he was blind and didn't see. "We haven't even greeted each other yet, you were too busy starting a fight with Sebastian." He chuckled in amusement.

"Oh yeah, sorry." I hugged him and noticed he smelled damn good. Fresh, like a cold winter morning, with a hint of peppermint.

"Poppy, come on!" Eliza's voice broke me out of my thoughts. I turned to her and watched as she held Sebastian by his sleeve to keep him from sitting next to Garreth. She waved at me frantically and I groaned. If only I had thrown her to this troll in France two years ago!