Nightmares

Bullets ricocheted off the walls as you and your teammates sprinted through the hallways. The fluorescent lights buzzed overhead as you ran, mocking your panicked state. This was not supposed to happen. This was supposed to be an easy in and out mission, not a full blown battle zone. You fear your calls for backup went unheard. Your heart jumped as you spotted an exit. You motioned to your teammates the exit location.

"I'll cover you guys, move out!" You yelled. They nodded and ran by you. As they passed, you counted each member. Your chest sank as your last teammate passed you. Someone was missing. You grabbed the last soldier's arm and held them back.

"Where the hell is Parker!?" You yelled.

"He's not already left?" They asked, worry lacing their voice. You shook your head and wracked your brain for where Parker could be. You let go of the soldier's arm and motioned for them to head through the exit.

"I'm going back for him, go join the others and await backup." You said and started moving back further into the building.

"Wait, you're not going back alone are you!? That's a death wish!" Said the soldier, grabbing your shoulder. You shrugged them off and gave them a determined look.

"I will not leave anyone behind, now move soldier!" You yelled. They hesitated for a moment, and then ran after the other team members. You raised your gun and slowly began making your way through the building. You followed the sound of distant gunfire.

You pressed yourself against the wall and shifted closer to the edge of the doorway. A stray bullet whizzed through the open door. You could hear men yelling inside. With a deep breath, you burst through the doorway and shot at the assailants inside. Within seconds, they were down, having been caught by surprise.

You glare at the figure that starts to slowly rise from behind a table. Storming over, you hit Lieutenant Parker upside the head.

"What the fuck were you thinking!? How the hell did you fall so far behind from the rest of the team!?" You yell, dragging him out from behind the table by his collar. He ducks his head staring at the floor.

"...I saw Veseli heading down this way after watching us scramble from the meeting room. I... I thought I could finish him off... That maybe this mission wouldn't have been for nothing..." He says, gripping his gun tightly. You look at him, guilt welling up in your chest. You led them on this faulty mission. You should've checked it out for yourself before jumping in...

You huff and rest a hand on his shoulder. "...Don't worry about it. But you're goddamn lucky someone like you is hard to replace, or else you would've been left to be dog food..." Parker chuckles at that. You give him a grin. "Now come on, we're not outta this hell hole yet. The rest of the team's waiting outside. I'll cover you." He nods and the two of you inch towards the door. Parker peeks out into the hall before slipping out, giving you the motion to continue.

You slip out as well, remaining as quiet as possible. You both creep down the halls, bodies of your assailants littering the floors. As you near the exit, you hear footsteps and shouts in the distance. Dammit... They just keep coming... You think to yourself.

"Parker, make a run for the exit, I'll cover you." He looks at you in shock.

"L/N, you can't be serious-" You cut him off, focusing entirely on the opposite end of the hall.

"I refuse to fill out a K.I.A. form tonight, Lieutenant. Now get your ass out of here." You feel him hesitate. "Dammit, Parker, NOW!" You hear him start running down the hall. As he ran, gunmen round the corner, barely getting the chance to raise their weapons before you mowed them down.