34. Opening Up & Whereabouts

⚠️TRIGGERED WARNING⚠️- DESCRIPTION OF SELF HARM. 

HARRY STYLES

Flashback

The sun dipped low on the horizon painting the sky in the vibrant colors of pink and orange. The backyard buzzed with laughter, chatter, and playful bickering between my mum and dad. Me, Mum, Dad, and all the members of our new band One Direction had all gathered here in the backyard of my house for the first time.

Everyone had taken up their favored places in the backyard– Liam and Louis were sitting on the floor, Dad was lighting up the cigarette a little far away from us, and Niall was displaying the features and specifications of his brand new phone to my mum while strolling outside.

And Zayn is fiddling with the barbecue, muttering under his breath, "This little shit." he grumbled, struggling to coax the fire to life.

Liam chuckled, lounging back on the ground, "Language Zayn."

Louis leaned, a teasing grin on his face, "Yeah, watch the language Zaynie."

Zayn shot them both a playful glare, "This little shit can fuc-" He caught himself when Mum shot him a warning glare as well.

Niall, ever the peacemaker, waved a hand dismissively, "You can't even light the fire, mate, give it to me."

"You can't even light the fire, mate." Zayn imitates.

Before Niall can take over the task Dad snatches the lighter out of his hand and quickly starts to ignite the coals.

"Kids shouldn't play with fire."

"We're not kids, Mr. S," Niall says.

"Yes, you are." He answers, patting Niall's back with a smile and raised eyebrows.

"We are all above sevente–"

"I'm gonna go call my best friend." I suddenly announce, rising from my seat before anyone can bicker more. "She lives right next door."

Mum who had been busy with Dad on the barbecue, called out with a hint of hesitation. "Harry about that- perhaps you shouldn't-"

"No, Mom," I interrupt, halfway towards the back of the house. "I am gonna go get her right now."

I wanna see her. And I want her to meet everyone here. And I want her to know how grateful I am for her constant insistence on me going for this audition. Although I didn't win... even the band didn't win but, the very trajectory of my life has significantly shifted because of her.

She'll be the unofficial sixth member of the band.

It's strange that she hasn't been here already... Maybe she doesn't know that we all are back.

I moved through the side gate, heading to the Wilsons' house next door. Hope Wilson had been my best friend since we were kids, always just a shout away whenever I needed her. But today, as I closed their yard, an unfamiliar sight greeted me.

I approached their house, a place I knew as well as my own, but something felt off. The air was too still, the usual signs of life absent.

What is going on?

Pushing open the slightly ajar backdoor, I stepped inside. The usual vibe of the house now felt desolate and stale. The floor creaking beneath my feet only added to my unease as I entered the dining area. My eyes darted around– the remnants of half-eaten breakfast lay on the table, a toppled chair and Hope's favorite -a picture of a mountain with a goat on the top- mug shattered on the floor.