Episode 4 - New People

I get on the bus, looking down, trying not to attract anybodies attention. It worked, nobody looked at me, they were all talking to their friends. I make my way near the to the end of the bus and drop down into my empty seat. Nobody was sitting in it yet, which made me hope that I just might get a seat all to myself. Nobody was in the seat behind me either, but I didn't really care about that.

I put my backpack down on the floor and push my back up against the wall of the bus. I take out my phone and start scrolling through my playlist, adding songs to my queue, when the bus doors open again. I look outside and see the bus has stopped in front of this big, fancy house. Why do all fancy houses have to be so white? Why not add a little color?

My thoughts about rich people houses are shattered when suddenly a boy sticks his face right in front of mine. I panic, and palm him in the face, making him back away. That's when I notice that two people have occupied the seat behind me. It was the boy who just stuck his face in front of mine, and another boy.

"Has anyone ever taught you about personal space?" I ask him.

"Nope!" He replies, grinning from ear to ear.

"How great," I say sarcastically, not looking at him, hoping he'll take the hint. He doesn't.

"My name's Aiden! And that's my cousin Ben," He points to the kid next to him, "but he doesn't really talk. He's super nice though, just don't piss him off."

"Ummmm thanks. I'll keep that noted." I respond. I look over at Ben and see that he has an apologetic and tired look on his face, and I feel kind of bad for him for having to deal with Aiden all the time. "Hey Ben." I say with a small smile.

Ben looks up at me quickly, seeming surprised. Then he returns my greeting with a smile and a quick wave. Poor guy. I guess people don't talk to him that often. To be fair though, he doesn't have a very approachable expression. Still, I feel kinda bad for him.

"Soooooooo, I have just a few questions." Aiden says, and for some reason I know it isn't going to be just two or three questions. "Go ahead," I say warily.

"What's your name? Do you have any siblings? What do you want to be when you get older? What are your parents names? Do you like this school? Do you have any friends? Do you have any pets? Oooooooo, where do you live?"

Holy shit, that was a lot of questions. "My name is Y/N." I reply.

Aiden grins, "Y/N, huh? I like that name! What about the other questions?"

"Well," I'm cut off as the bus doors open at our next stop, and a girl with orange hair and long braids gets on. I recognize her as Ashlyn. We aren't exactly friends, but we've gone to school with each other for years, so we aren't exactly strangers either. I look around and notice that there's no other empty seats, so she must sit next to me, which I was fine with. I move my stuff over so she has a place to sit.

"Hey Ashlyn," I say when she gets close.

"Hey Y/N," She says quietly and a little out of breath, she sits down next to me. I guess she almost missed the bus too.

I lean in and whisper, "First of all, thank you. Second of all, I'm so sorry."

Ashlyn gives me a confused look, but before she can ask me what I mean Aiden leans into her ear and starts the whole conversation over with her.

Glad that's over, finally some peace and music. I pull out my earbuds and put them in, turning on my mixed playlist titled, 'Just Some Bipolar Shit'.

I lean back onto the seat and close my eyes, trying to relax before I got to school.

* * *

I open my eyes again when I hear the rustle of kids getting up around me. I grab my bag and stand up, music still blasting in my ears. I look around and notice Aiden is still talking Ashlyn's ear off.

Damn, I feel kinda bad now. But she's handling it better than I would've. I know I would've just yelled at the kid by now.

We get off the bus and Aiden's still yapping about who knows what. I have one of my earbuds out in case social interaction is needed, but I'm not really paying attention to anyone.

We walk into school and I text Ashlyn,

Long hair

Y/N:

how do we escape???

Long hair:

Idk!

Y/N:

wdym you don't know! i thought you could think of things on the spot!

Long hair:

well im to tired to do that rn!

Y/N:

fine. we'll just wait and see

We keep walking with Aiden and Ben trailing right behind us, when suddenly Ben pulls on Aiden's backpack, making him stop. He silently points to the office, and Aiden looks inside. Ashlyn and I share a glance, and we both know. 'Our chance,' I mouth, and Ashlyn nods, we both sprint down the hallway and hide around the corner. After a couple of seconds I hear Aiden start to laugh like a maniac.

"Oh my God, the kid is actually insane," I tell Ashlyn, she just nods as we both catch our breaths.

A/N- Hey y'all! I finally posted! It just took me five months or so... I know I said I would start publishing often back in February, but school was kicking my ass. And then my mental health has been going in a downhill spiral all summer. But I posted! "Take that depression!" - Lucifer Morningstar. Let me know what you think about this chapter. I wasn't a huge fan of it to be honest. Not my best work, but I hope the next chapters are going to be better.