Chapter 2

After two flutes of mag-vin we were all officially intoxicated and Lista had already lost the blouse under her corset saying something about if her face was going to be unmemorable at least her breasts were going to be unforgettable.

"Alright, ladies! It is officially moonrise and time for us to sneak out." Lista whisper screamed conspiratorially.

"I'd hardly say it's sneaking out if you just announced it to the entire room and guards outside the door, Lista." Camilla said shaking her head and looking into the iridescent liquid in the glass.

"Ha! That's what makes my plan the best. They may know we're leaving, but they won't be quick enough to catch us!" Lista replied waving a silk sachet in front of all of our faces as she jumped up on the vanity chair.

"Oh, holy Purete..." I added laughing as I watched her try to balance on the swiveling stool.

"Listaaaa, you're making me nervous! Let's just do what we usually do and sneak out in robes through the solarium," Jada begged throwing out her arms to steady Lista.

"Oh sweet, sweet Jada. What's the fun in that! Now come on we're taking the dumb waiter down to the "

Camilla loudly placed her glass on the side table beside her and jumped off the settee to race to the dumbwaiter. We looked at her shocked.

"What? I've actually always wanted to do this," she said grinning from ear to ear.

She threw open the hatch and tried to crawl in herself. At best, the dumbwaiter could fit two people.

"I don't officially condone this plan, but since Camilla has already crammed herself in there let's go two by two," I said smirking.

"I don't officially condone this plannnn!" Lista mocked me from her crouched position with a fake grumpy face.

I laughed at her fair portrayal, but I wasn't about to be labelled a stick in the mud.

"Oh really, Lista. That's how you want to be? Fine! Make some room I'm coming in, Camilla!"

The girls broke out in a fit of drunken giggles and I couldn't help but snort when Jada put her hands on my rear and shoved me in.

"Meet you down there, ladies," Camilla said with a wink as she shut the dumbwaiter.

Five minutes later we were in the delivery area near the kitchens facing the rune that had been burned into the soil and clover lawn. This particular rune was a transport rune – an almost ancient form of travel that relied on pure magika to be activated. Hard to get, but one of the fastest ways to travel in the Kingdom if you could get your hands on some.

Lista reached into the silk sachet she'd attached to the waistband of her skirt and pulled out a small handful.

"Lista, that's too much." I panicked slightly remembering the magika shortage I'd been trying to forget.

"It'll be ok, Lele, it's best to use more than enough than not enough when you take the rune," Camilla said as she put a comforting hand on my shoulder.

We all silently watched Lista take the magika in her cupped hand and hold it to her forehead. The trick was to think only of the place you were headed and push the intent into the powder.

After a moment, she stepped on the rune and tossed the powder down over her feet and the rune whispering "so mote it be."

I went after Jada and Camilla followed, and finally, we were all in the heart of Ghilt, Nitre's capitol city.

"It's been so long since we've all been here together!" Jada shouted as she grabbed Lista's and my hands. "And make sure you tell any boys we see that this is Lele's engagement party, and she desperately wants a drink." Jada was smiling from ear to ear and her enthusiasm was making me forget that this was an arranged marriage.