Chapter 3

It had already been two weeks since our outing to the Moon and Thorn Club, and we had all been completely overwhelmed with all we had to pack. I hadn't seen my father since our conversation about my engagement and schooling. I didn't want to see him either. He used to be softer, but lately his personality was biting and sharp, but I couldn't forget what it had been like.

We were leaving for The Academy later this afternoon, and I figured he would make an appearance eventually.

I heard Lista in the room next door giving instructions to the staff about new protocol that would incur once we were gone. As First Advisor, she did a lot of roles like that, and although she was a free spirit, I admired how she could lead people so easily.

"Okay, are you ready Lele? We need to head out soon, and the King Mage is going to meet us by the rune to say goodbye," Lista said as she continued to move across the room checking cabinets and closets for anything we'd accidentally left.

My mother had decorated this room when I'd been a child, and I'd never let anyone touch it. The ceiling was domed and had a painted replica of the sky the night I was born. Each star was foiled in gold leaf.

I shut the book I hadn't really been reading and stood to leave.

"Yes, ready. Thanks for organizing everything."

"Of course, princess!" She responded with her typical irreverence. This time it reminded me of Silas.

"Oh, shut up," I laughed back – expertly hiding my wince.

"Jada and Camilla went ahead already, so they're waiting for us there. Let's go down, but before we go, I want to tell you I'm really proud of you."

"Lista, stop joking around we're gonna be late."

"No, I'm serious!" She said grabbing my shoulders.

"This is the last step in preparing to take the crown, and I know these past couple weeks have been hard. You're signing up for a life you didn't plan with Etienne. I still plan on keeping my promise to you. You say the word, and I will help you get out of this – all of it."

I didn't know what to say. When we were little we'd joked about running away and leaving our responsibilities behind, but this seemed like a sincere offer.

Lista looked intent on not breaking eye contact with me while allowing me to consider.

"Lista," I said taking her hands in mine. "I'm okay, I promise. I want to do this for Nitre," I said while nodding reassuringly. "I'm so lucky to have you."

I couldn't help but scan the room in my peripheral to make sure the guards hadn't just overhead what had been said.

"I know you do," Lista said with a small smile.

We walked out to the front of the palace where my father waited by the rune.

"He's here to see me off I think."

"That's nice," Lista said with an encouraging smile.

As I approached, my father outstretched his arms to greet me with a hug. His face seemed warm though weathered. His hug was nice, but mechanical.

"Daughter, could I speak with you for a moment? Callista, feel free to go ahead."

Callista curtsied quickly, took a handful of magika from the raised onyx dish that sat next to the symbol permanently burned into the ground, and suddenly she was gone.

I turned to my father.

"I know we haven't spoken much in the past couple of weeks, Leola, but I want you to know how important it is that you're doing this for our kingdom – for our family," He paused for a moment and looked out to the horizon.