Rivera Reunification

Requested by Itz_Kxsh

~~~

Land of the Dead, 2018

The day finally came. Héctor knew it would happen eventually, especially after the events of the last Dia de Muertos. Despite having nearly a century to prepare he still didn't feel ready.

Today was the day he would be reunited with his daughter.

It had started out a normal evening. The Riveras were wrapping up their days and preparing to have a family dinner together. The Dead didn't need to eat, but it was tradition in the Rivera household. It maintained some form of normalcy from their lives.

Héctor had gotten used to that very quickly. After being deprived of any time with his family at all, he adored every moment he was granted now.

Rejoining the Rivera family had been awkward at first. No one knew quite how to act around him. The only ones who seemed well adjusted to him being around were the twins, but they had known him in life. They had a history outside of the infamous story they had all heard. The same couldn't be said about everyone else.

Time helped the rest of the family get more used to him. Héctor made an effort to get to know them personally, though it hadn't always been received very well.

Rosita had been eager to understand this mysterious person she had only ever heard of in a tragic tale of heartbreak. Ever the romantic, she loved getting to hear the details of the tragic love story. She seemed to enjoy his company.

Héctor's son-in-law and granddaughter did not seem to share the sentiment.

Julio was extremely nervous in almost any situation, but this one made him an absolute wreck. Victoria was in a similar position. She found it difficult to be around her mother's absentee father, even if they knew now that his actions weren't entirely his fault. No matter what he did, it seemed to make one of them uncomfortable.

Things were tense, and all things led to Coco.

The news came in a telegram delivered by an alebrije that must have belonged to someone at the Department of Reunions. It dropped the message directly through an open window, then ran off with a screech before anyone could say or do anything.

The entire family became quiet at the sight of it. The only one who seemed puzzled by the strange delivery was Victoria, who had never seen one of these before. "What is it? A notice?" she asked.

"An arrival notice." Imelda's voice cut through the stunned silence.

She along with everyone else knew exactly who the notice must be referring to. For a moment she wasn't sure who to look to first: her son-in-law, her husband, or her granddaughter.

The silence broke and was very suddenly replaced by all sorts of excitement. Chatter about how long it had been since they saw her, what they would do with her now that she was here, and squeals of joy mostly from Rosita. The most surprising outburst was from Julio, who was shouting with delight and hugging his daughter.

Although it was a wonderful sight to see her family so happy, there was business to be done. Coco would need to be picked up and brought home, dinner plans would need to be adjusted... there was a lot to do. Imelda knew this, so she tried to get everyone's attention.

"Todos, guarden silencio por un segundo!"

No one intended to be rude and ignore her, but no one seemed to hear her. Before she could become irritated, someone interrupted everything with a loud shout. Not of pain, but joy.