Chapter 12: Pursuit

Chapter 12: Pursuit

The group darted down an alleyway. Police sirens could be heard in the background. Ace had killed Monique back at the cafe. The small sprinkles that were coming before had turned into a downpour. Wengo's cardboard box for a head somehow wasn't dampened by this. Ace looked back at the truck in the middle of the street. Police were combing through every building.

"Great, our only way out of here is sitting right in the open on the road." Gabriella said, face palming.

"It wasn't in our control anyway. We were backed into a wall there." Ace said, shrugging. "Shooting people or not, we'd still be chased by the police."

"Stating the obvious here, but it should be our priority to make our way out of here." Wengo said, putting his hand on Ace's shoulder. "We already have the objective, now the only thing needing to be completed is returning it."

"You're right, but how are we gonna make our way over there?" Kylen said, pointing to the road. "Causin a commotion would land us in hot water."

"Oh come on! It's clearly the only option!" Bowl Guy said, his accent clearly noticeable. "We have plenty of weaponry. It shouldn't be thaat haard!"

Gabriella bickered with Bowl Guy about the situation, mentioning that they only have two pistols to their name. Ace tried to block it out, focusing on a way out of here. He glanced at the street, still raining. Two policemen were standing outside of the diner which they were previously in, but there didn't seem to be anything else guarding the vacant truck. The raindrops were like an overlay on Ace's glasses. He felt himself slowly get drenched, similar to how they'd slowly be caught.

Ace snarled and darted for the truck. Wengo was the first to notice, and everyone else followed. One police guard spotted the blurs from the corner of their eye and altered their partner. They both immediately gripped their pistols and started shooting. Wengo pulled out his gun and started firing back. One guard was shot, and the other dragged the first one back inside the cafe. Ace counted twelve shots, and heard eleven hit the wall behind him.

Wengo jumped into the driver's seat and ducked down. He shoved the key into the car and started it as the others were entering. The accelerator was slammed down beyond repair, and the group sped out of Kazan.

Ace looked back from the passenger's seat to the back. Bowl guy was wiping his brow, Gabriella nodded, and Kylen was coughing. The police were already in pursuit behind them. Their force wasn't strong, only two police cars stayed in pursuit.

Gabriella opened the sunroof of the car. She attempted to give the shotgun a go, resting it on the roof of the car like a turret, but Bowl Guy interjected.

"If you may, I think I'd be a much better shot than you are."

Gabriella didn't change her gaze. "The only things you've probably shot are cannonballs. I got this." She said, holding the grip with two hands.

"If you shoot that, the gun is going to go flying right out of the crow's nest. You're not even resting it on anything to protect that."

Gabriella rolled her eyes, she sat back down, handing the shotgun to Bowl Guy, who got a smug grin.

The shot echoed throughout the town. The pellets shattered both windshields on the other police car, slowing them down effectively. They swerved from side to side uncontrollably. After a few minutes, the cars gave up the chase.

"Wow, you actually handled that well!" Gabriella said, shocked.

"Never doubt me, lass." Bowl guy replied, smirking as he handed the shotgun back to Gabriella.