Chapter 1 : When we were young

[Taehyung Hastings is about to become a holy knight.]

One day in March, in the warm spring breeze, rumors came flying into the capital, turning the social world upside down.

"Taehyung wants to be a holy knight? I heard that he'll definitely be back after his apprenticeship ends."

"Yeah, I thought he'd be back in the capital by now..."

"No, more than that, Taehyung is the only heir to the Duke of Hastings. If such a person becomes a holy knight, then who will inherit the title?"

That was always their first concern. Who would inherit the dukedom?

Taehyung was the only child of Duke Hastings. That's why, everyone naturally called him, "Young Lord Hastings", since they believed he would be the next duke. But a holy knight?

A holy knight must make a vow of abstinence, offer his body and mind to the goddess and abstain from partaking in any physical or mental relationships with earthly beings. Naturally, it meant that it would be impossible for him to leave a successor. "If Taehyung really becomes a holy knight, it will be difficult to see him anymore, right?"

The lively face of the young lady, the girl who spoke, was filled with despair. The expressions of the other young ladies next to her were no different.

We won't be able to see Taehyung anymore.

Women in high society were desperate. Not only is Taehyung famous as the sole heir to the Hastings Dukedom, though that alone is attractive, he's also popular for his handsome face and gorgeous appearance. They nicknamed him 'Gift from the Gods'.

When he was first introduced to high society at an event, the entire ballroom froze. All eyes were on Taehyung regardless of gender or age. It is well known to this day.

One of the ladies who was talking about Taehyung opened her mouth with a smirk.

"By the way...... What'll happen to Lady Jennie?"

Jennie.

As soon as the name was said, the young ladies in the circle stiffened. The more they praised Taehyung , the more they hated that name. Because Jennie was Taehyung's fiancée.

"Of course, they'll break-up."

"Oh goodness. It won't be easy for her to find a new marriage partner now."

There was not a grain of pity in the voice that spoke. Instead, it sounded smug.

Jennie has always been the envy of noble women.

Jennie Belford is the second daughter of Baron Belford, a retainer of the Hasting's Household. She had nothing to offer besides a pretty face. But in a society filled with beautiful and elegant women, her fair appearance was nothing special.

Yet no one received more special treatment than Jennie. The Crown Princess always had Jennie next to her and the duke's main estate, with all its grandeur, was Jennie's home.

Moreover, her status as Taehyung's fiancée was also reason enough to invoke jealousy among noble women. Their envy only increased as the days went by.

"I heard that when she was six years old, Lady Jennie became betrothed to him because of a childhood promise Taehyung made when they were young." "I've heard that story before. Actually, they claim to be engaged, but they didn't seal the engagement in writing?"

"So Miss Jennie has been treated like his fiancée even though their engagement has no legitimacy?"

"My word, how shameless."