Seven

"Choi San-ah

"Choi San-ah."

The room was quiet, except for the voice echoing persistently in San's ears.

"Choi San, wake up."

San didn't move a single muscle, completely enveloped in the cocoon of sleep, however, he could hear the voice, which never seemed to give up.

Whose voice was this? And where have I heard it before? San thought to himself, his brows knitting together in confusion as he savored the darkness behind his closed eyelids. It felt like someone was calling him, the familiarity of the voice dancing at the edges of his consciousness, yet it was almost blurry which made it a little harder to recognize.

"Yah, Choi San, wake up!"

The voice grew louder, its cadence unmistakable now. It was Wooyoung's voice rousing him from sleep, gently shaking him in an effort to hasten the awakening. Gradually, San felt himself waking up, his quiescent state lifting as consciousness reclaimed him, even though his body was still too lazy to bat an eyelid.

Discombobulated, San finally managed to open his eyes, trying to recognize up from down amidst the flood of light and the irritated expression etched onto Jung Wooyoung's face mere inches away from him.

Why was everything so glaringly bright all of a sudden? Wooyoung almost looked like the sun itself, his features obscured by the radiant glow pouring in from the huge windows behind him. As San's vision adjusted to the brightness, the full image of Wooyoung came into focus. Wait, where exactly was he right now, anyway?

"Where... where am I?" San mumbled, lifting his head from his arms which he had laid upon the table, faint sleep imprints visible on his right cheek.

Wooyoung rolled his eyes. "You dozed off during the lecture. Seriously, you missed half of it. You could have just stayed back at our dorm and caught up on your sleep instead of showing up here only to leave the professor with such a brilliant first impression."

San's eyes widened, a wave of anxiety washing over him. "What?! I fell asleep during the lecture?! Damn it..." he cursed, his hand moving to scratch the back of his head in frustration.

"Hey, it's fine, dude. I can lend you my notes so you can copy them later if you want."

Oh. Why did this cause San's heart to skip a beat? Wooyoung was simply being kind to him, yet for some reason, his heart responded to something as trivial as this. Whatever that feeling was, San never wanted to experience it again. All he really cared about right now was figuring out how to avoid sleeping during his classes.

"Uh... yeah, thanks."

Wooyoung crossed his arms. "Look, I'm not trying to meddle in your life or anything, not that I care about how you deal with it, but did you get any rest last night? You look drained. Deadass, like a zombie."