Sixteen

Tapping, tapping, tapping

Tapping, tapping, tapping. All Wooyoung could hear under the comfortable bedsheets was the tapping sound of keys emanating from San's laptop. Wooyoung turned on his phone, adjusting the display to the lowest brightness to avoid being blinded.

As he checked the time, he realized it was the very beginning of Saturday, and it was almost 4 AM. Why on earth wasn't San sleeping? Was he truly studying at this ungodly hour?

Wooyoung couldn't understand why his dorm mate chose to give up the precious opportunity to rest on the weekend.

The creak of springs accompanied Wooyoung's movement as he shifted in his bed, turning to the side to steal a glimpse of San through the narrow opening of his duvet.

Wooyoung frowned. Why was San doing this to himself? Sure, the exams were approaching, so what? That wasn't an excuse to keep him up all night. Should Wooyoung say something? Should he do something?

Fortunately, Wooyoung wasn't completely exposed this time. He had to wear a tank top and comfortable pajama shorts to ward off the chill that permeated their dorm room every night. Even during summer, their dorm room was somewhat drafty, especially at night.

His lips pressed together, Wooyoung finally broke the silence, "San-ah..."

The clicking of San's fingers on the keyboard suddenly stopped upon hearing his voice. San snapped his laptop shut and swiveled around to face the direction of Wooyoung's bed.

Seated upright, he regarded the talking sheets. "Did I wake you up?" San asked, his tone gentle.

With a swift motion, Wooyoung pulled back the covers and met San's gaze before shaking his head. "No, you didn't. And you still can't sleep?"

San sighed deeply. "Yes, I can't sleep."

With that being said, Wooyoung sprang from his own bed and bounded over to San's, his hair bouncing with each step, his eyes glowing in the soft lamplight positioned between their beds.

San could hear the hammering of his heart in his chest as Wooyoung leaned in closer. Wooyoung's gaze lowered from San's dancing eyes to the laptop resting on his thighs.

With a gentle nudge, Wooyoung took the laptop in his hands and placed it on his own lap. "How about a movie?" He suggested, a playful smile tugging at his lips.

"No, Wooyoung, I really need to finish this chapter—"

"Come on, won't you just take a two-hour break from your study grind?" Wooyoung asked, his voice laced with persuasion.

"And hey, you get to relax a bit too," he added, flashing a brighter smile. That was exactly his motive. Wooyoung knew that at this late hour, watching a movie might prove dull enough to lull San into a much-needed sleep.

San hesitated, his eyes betraying his internal conflict. Before he could say anything, Wooyoung was already crawling his way closer, mimicking San's position to make sure they were both comfortable on the same bed.