Thirty Eight

San had absolutely no idea that Wooyoung had overheard his confession the previous night. Racked with denial, Wooyoung came up with the excuse that his excessive drinking had led him to think that San said stuff like that to him.

He wanted to believe that his ears played some kind of tricks on him because there was absolutely no freaking way San was in love with him. And even if he did tell him that, it wouldn't mean that San actually loved him. No, definitely not.

At the minute, it was exactly 7 AM, and Wooyoung lay in bed next to San, who was sleeping ever so soundly. San's almost inaudible breathing and the slow rise and fall of his chest proved a restful sleep, while his long, dark lashes created a shadow on his lower eyelid crease.

While Wooyoung's eyes were on him, it seemed as though San hadn't slept like that in quite some time, obvious by the faint lines of tiredness etched on his features. Wooyoung also could feel the heavy weight of San's arm draped over his waist, barely allowing him to move a muscle.

Wooyoung kept repeating in his head that the other didn't love him. He couldn't possibly fall in love with him because this wasn't something they had agreed on. Yes, they were both okay with the fact they just wanted to mess around, but for any of them to ever catch feelings was totally out of plan.

The idea of falling in love with another man felt weird to Wooyoung. He couldn't imagine himself in a relationship with San or any other man, let alone have a relationship that delved into intimacy and commitment. All of it sounded foreign, out of reach, and incompatible with his understanding of love and relationships.

Perhaps Wooyoung wasn't genuinely attracted to men after all. Maybe his interest in San stemmed from a desire to experiment, to taste the forbidden curiosity of a different kind of relationship. Or maybe he only found San attractive because he was jealous of his looks and wanted to look like him.

Maybe he liked it because San treated him differently and so well. Maybe he liked it because San knew exactly how to drive him to the brink of madness with desire. Maybe he liked it because San was the only one who was constantly on his mind. Fuck, no. This was not how Wooyoung imagined their "no-strings-attached relationship" to end up like.

The minutes ticked by with Wooyoung losing himself in his own thoughts, still nestled on the bed with San. Suddenly, the shrill beeping of the digital clock shattered the silence, jolting Wooyoung out of his gloomy self-absorption and pulling him back to reality.

Wooyoung groaned and immediately turned off the alarm, feeling San already moving beside him. Yawning, stretching one leg out, San prodded himself to turn over, his arm swinging over to wrap around Wooyoung's waist once again, their lips only a breath away. Wooyoung blinked, tried to scoot away, and wiggle out of San's touch, however he only seemed to fail.

Wooyoung tried to yell at San to release him but his brain and mouth wouldn't connect, and a low guttural sound came out instead.

"Where are you trying to go?" San mumbled without opening his eyes. His words were barely intelligible, his breathing heavy, making Wooyoung gulp.

"We have lectures in almost two hours, remember?" Wooyoung answered, trying to sound as casual and inconspicuous as possible. He didn't want to make it patent that he felt a little awkward because of yesterday. There was still a part of him that didn't even want to believe it happened in the first place.

"Since when do you care about them?" San mumbled again, shifting even closer.

Wooyoung raised an eyebrow, some rejoinder coming to mind. "Since when do you not care about them?"

San chuckled, finally opening his eyes, and Wooyoung's heart might've or might've not skipped a beat.

"Okay, you're right. I do care about them."