Day 1938 (Part 2)

Day 1938, 2:30 pm

In five minutes they are in the elevator.

"You keep this" Karishma handed her the hard drive

"ME?"

"Yes, Haseena you have staked your profession for me. If something happens to me, you should make sure this project goes on" She stared at Haseena with her glassy eyes. Haseena nodded and slid the hard drive into her pocket

"This is our ride; it'll take time for them to track us" she spoke as she hopped behind the wheel of the car, she arranged for them.

They drove in silence, as they reached the outskirts of the city the road became wider and traffic became lesser. They drove for an hour, before noticing a red Santro tailing them.

"I think it's them. It's the same car"

Before she could complete her sentence, a bullet hit the mirror on Karishma's side. She sat petrified as the sound echoed in her eyes.

"Karishma get down" Haseena pushed her off the seat, she crouched under the leg space and stared at Haseena wide-eyed. Before she understood the situation a bullet hit the rare window, shattering the glass all over.

"Karishma, are you Okay?" Haseena shouted. She nodded in agreement

After an hour Haseena asked her to come out,

"I think we have lost them" she looked at Karishma. Haseena took a turn on the highway, never decreasing her speed and always on watch for any car following them. The sky started turning dark before they saw an outline. After 30 minutes they saw an old factory.

"It's a closed factory. It's best if we stop here for the night. If we start at early hours tomorrow, we can reach the nearest village at dawn" Haseena spoke as she came to a stop inside the factory's loading dock.

6:14 pm

The factory looked old and deserted. Haseena slowly moved to observe the surroundings. Everything before the eye is rusted and broken. A shabby table at the farthest side is the only unbroken furniture present there. Karishma sat still in the car, too petrified to process anything. Haseena slowly walked to Karishma, taking her hands into hers, she asked

"Are you okay Karishma?"

"I can't believe someone tried to kill us, KILL ME!" She closed her eyes and leaned against her chest, tears trickling down her cheeks.

Karishma opened her eyes as she heard cars coming their way, their headlights blinding her. The cars came to a stop and people started walking towards them.

"Finally, Doctor, at last, we meet again!" Karishma froze as Mr Singh came into view "It took my men a lot of time to find you, Thanks to your friend here, she helped a lot"

Karishma turned towards Haseena, and a smile dangled on Haseena's lips. Before she could say anything, two men pulled her away, grabbing her hands as she tried to resist.

"Mr Singh, she is all yours. Now I would like my balance payment" Haseena spoke

"You Bastard! You sold me for money. I trusted you. You piece of shit" She scoffed

"I'm sorry. It's your mistake to trust me" Haseena laughed

"Your money is transferred. Now leave" Mr Singh said

"Thank you" Haseena spoke as he checked the message "and Mr Singh, one request, can you thank Mr Nair for me" She smiled

"What are you saying Inspector," he asked straight-faced, while Karishma watched the conversation wide-eyed,

"Well, when I checked Karishma's call list in the morning, I found your number. When I checked your call lists, one month before meeting Karishma you talked to Mr Nair, I thought you were planning something, in the past 3 months whenever Karishma spoke to Mr Nair about the project, you both met within a couple of days, I thought they were coincidence or you both doing a project together. However, after more digging, I found out there is no project. It then became clear to me, you both are trying to kill her! Two big industrialists, powerful and intelligent. No one can stand against you. Perfectly executed. Except she got lucky." Haseena smiled.

Mr Singh glared at Haseena, as Karishma stood confused looking at both of them. Everyone looked towards the cars as a car door slammed. Mr Nair walked towards them with a smile dancing on his lips.

"Well, Inspector. It's true what they say, you are smart" Mr Nair walked past her to Karishma.

Grabbing her by the waist with his left hand, he checked her pockets as she stood rooted, too shocked to move.

"Where is the hard drive darling?" he breathed into her ear. Karishma shuddered in his arms as a cold sweat broke on her forehead.

"Mr Nair" she murmured

"I always imagined you in my arm Karishma, same like this shivering, sweating and weak" he hissed.

"You are with Mr Singh! You tried to kill me! Why Mr Nair? Why?" She snapped

"Yes, my dear. The technician is just collateral. Do you have any idea how much money I can make with this vaccine? I tried to change your mind with the help of your assistant but you didn't agree. After I had proposed a deal with Mr Singh here, I gave you another chance but you are stubborn. We didn't have any choice other than removing you from the equation. I liked you; it is a waste of lots of potential and beauty, however, money is more important" he turned towards Haseena

"The Hard drive Inspector!" Mr Nair shouted

"Sorry Karishma. However, Mr Nair thank you for the speech. I request you to step away from her, all this is live-streamed to the commissioner's office with this camera near this bumper, the police will be here anytime soon. Hands in the air" Haseena pointed her pistol at Mr Nair.

"But Inspector, it'll take them hours to reach us" Mr Singh smiled and pointed his pistol at Haseena

"Sorry didn't I mention, A group followed you here? They'll be here any minute"

"You made a grave mistake Inspector" growled Mr Nair, Releasing Karishma he pointed his pistol towards Haseena.

Karishma grabbed the pistol from his hand, as fear kicked in. Both struggling, the pistol went off, hitting Karishma in the abdomen, the force pushing her to the ground. She gasped for air laying on the ground. The police arrived and Haseena ran to Karishma, she woke her up, and with the help of Cheeta, she shifted Karishma into the car and drove, as other officers arrested them.

THE END

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey beautiful people, hope you enjoyed the last part of Charade. I understand this story is short lived, however some are meant to be short. Please do share your thoughts. See you soon.

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow. Have a nice day.