Chapter Two

I yawned, slowly waking up from my peaceful slumber. I rose my head and looked around, phew, everyone was still here. Rays of sunlight beamed into the corral, I had learnt the grey branch circle was called a corral from one of the mares in my herd.

"Morning mama!" I whinnied to her, nipping at her forelock playfully.

"Good morning darling." She groggily answered, she smiled at me. But this moment didn't last for long, because everyone heard the corral open and at least 10 men walked into the corral with ropes, I heard the weird stick branches were called ropes from another mare too.

"Get up! Everyone get up!" Eucalyptus let out a high pitched whinny. I watched as everyone from our herd and other herds got up straight away.

My herd backed up against the back of the corral.

"I'm scared mama.." I snorted, my herd had nudged all the foals into the center of the herd.

"It'll be alright, you are too young to be taken away from me. I won't let them take you." My mother reassured me. I realised those were the exact same words the other mare had said to her colt. But he had been taken away and she couldn't stop it.

Flora was next to me and her mother was behind us.

Then we both heard a loud whipping noise and watched as a mare in our herd called Crow, reared up, a rope was around her neck! She was being pulled forwards and then another rope was thrown on her neck to try to get her to leave our herd. She reared again, but another rope was thrown over one of her front hooves, making her unsteady.

"Mother!" A filly from within the center of our herd whinnied.

Crow bucked, but then a rope was thrown around one of her hind legs, eventually the men all pulled the ropes so she fell to the ground. We watched in horror as she squirmed, trying to get out of the ropes. The mares foal reared, cantering toward her mother.

"River, stay back!" The mother snorted, but it was too late, one of the men that hadn't thrown a rope on the mare threw one around the foals neck.

The foal reared and bucked, shaking its neck to try to get it off. But it failed and both mare and foal were pulled out of the corral.

Then all of the foals began to rear, not just from our herd but from all of the herds. Then it was like the stampede when we were being chased here, all of the horses began to gallop around the corral. Mares and foals stuck together and mares without foals followed a member of their herd.

"Mama! What's happening?" I asked, my eyes were wide with panic and worry.

"I'm not sure, but it will be okay." My mother spotted a sort of forest area in a corner of the corral, it had been hidden from view since the others herds blocked it before. Me and my mother ran towards it.

"Hide in there, I'll get the others that are in our herd." She nudged me into the bushes. I just nodded and stood there, hiding like she told me to.

Eventually, one by one, mares and foals from our herd entered the bushes, all huffing and puffing. Flora and her mother were here as well. Then a thought came to my mind.

"Flame!" I gasped, looking at the galloping horses to see if Flame was amongst them. She was, because I saw her running with her mother.

I whinnied, catching Flames attention, she skidded to a halt and her mother did too.

"Flame! Over here!" I whinnied. Exiting the bush for just a few moments, her and her mother came galloping towards the bushes.

"Get in! We can hide." I nudged her in.