Dad's Order [3/3]

Dizzy

The journey home never feels so long before

The journey home never feels so long before. Maybe because of the traffic? As if all Mumbaikars come down to the road and make it overcrowded. It's full of cars and motorbikes with deafening sounds of their horns, not to mention the pedestrians and street food sellers on the roadside. We should promote sustainable public transportation that offers safety and security for all. We have plenty of those here, but it seems they are not enough for nearly 22 million Mumbaikars. Also, people like me who work in the entertainment industry can't go in public that easily. The last time I took a public train, it caused an unwanted catastrophic incident. So, it's not only about my security but also safety for all.

Since morning, I can't keep my hands off my phone. I am monitoring the progress Aryan is making on our plan for tonight. Well, it is my plan, actually. Hehe. He told me it was a bit over the top. But I want to! It is not everyday that I give my time only for the family. It is not only about me and Kajol but also about the family. Moreover, we just celebrated the 30 years of our collaboration in the industry. That means it was nearly 31 years ago since I met her. Thirty one years, yes, you read that right. Such a long journey and I think it deserves to be cherished.

"Zara aankhon mein kajal laga lo sanam... Aye, Rabba," I put my phone back in my pants pocket while humming a verse of a song, trying to break the silence in the car. I glance at Kajol who sits besides me. She doesn't seem to care about my singing though it sounds so bad and the song is hers.

I try to poke her arm to get her attention. That is when she looks at me.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

But all I get is a confused look from her. She has been lost during the day except for the kids' competition. She seems... Bothered? Something is really on her mind these past few days. I know it. Since she came back from MP at the end of January, she always tried to avoid me. She occasionally refused to talk to me. Last week, I caught her daydreaming while accompanying the kids in the study room. Same thing happened in the office today.

"Why did you ask that? Do I not look okay?" She answers. I notice a bit of a furious tone in her answer.

I only shake my head then throw my gaze out to the window. I am not surprised if she yells or gets angry at me. But the way she gets furious only because I ask if she is okay, that is unusual. Should I bring her back to the Ustadh in Kashmir?!

I decided to drop the topic and let the journey home be spent in silence. I only hope the surprise can get her mood better.

The Mannat gate opens as our car passes through it. The kids and Tanisha are waiting at the door, smiling at us. Kajol notices this unusual act.

"Is it coincidence or you all made a pact to wear black today?" She asks after we get out of the car. Instead of answering her, Azira walks towards her to hold her hand.