Self-Reflection [3/3] - END

Beach Date

I know this is our anniversary's night. That's why I finished my work a day early and got back to Mumbai straight away. But I did not tell anyone in Mannat about it. I arrived at the airport in the morning then headed to my mother's house while Shahrukh was taking the kids to Essel. I was there the whole day till I called Aryan this afternoon to tell him that I am coming home tonight. He informed me of anything that happened back home. When he confirmed that the twins were already sleeping, I made my way back to Mannat without telling Shahrukh. I am planning to give him a surprise.

The staff welcome me at the door with a smile. They help me to bring my luggages and bags to my room. I grab a champagne bottle that I got on the way back here and bring it to my room. I am sure Shahrukh will not be sleeping.

I try to regulate my breath when I reach the bedroom door. With a wide smile, I pulled down the doorknob making it open wide.

"SURPRISE!!!"

I step in with a happy smile and a loud voice. But, the first sight I get is a crying Shahrukh sitting on the bed. He looks up at me with his red puffy eyes. It shatters the whole atmosphere I have been building. My heart suddenly feels hurt. Damn, what happened to this man?

"Hey, what happened?" I put the champagne bottle on the nightstand table then sit beside him. He does not say anything. He tries to wipe off the tears but it's just too late. I have already seen them. I pull him into my arms only to make him continue sobbing.

I rub his back tenderly to soothe him. His shoulders are shaking badly. I look down to his lap and find that cursed book. He must have just read them. I grab it quickly before he notices and put it inside the drawer next to bed.

"How many times did I tell you not to open that thing again?"

"I am sorry. Glad you came at the right time," He says while snuggling up to my neck.

I sigh. I gave him the book not to trigger the trauma. Every time someone brings up that topic, it will trigger him and he will inevitably bring out the book to read it again. He read it once and I think it is enough for him to know. He had suffered a lot. Someone must be triggering him.

"Who asked you about it?" I ask. He immediately wipes off his tears then releases the hug. He stares at me with those saddening red eyes.

"Azira."

Poor man. I never thought this day would come too soon. I have said many times that those kids grow up faster than they have to be. Shahrukh must be so shocked and overwhelmed with their questions. It explains the mystery of why he left the call right after he gave the phone to the kids earlier. He went to calm himself down.

"But I feel better now. Thank you," He says, taking my hand into his. "When did you arrive? I did not hear you were coming."

"This morning. I was with Mom and Tichie. They scolded me on what the hell I was doing there on the night of my wedding anniversary."

"So, you were in the car when you FaceTime us earlier," He says.

I nod. He smiles then kisses my hand. "Want to go out?"

I frown at the idea. "So suddenly?"

"We can get some fresh air, get some food too maybe," He shrugs his shoulders. "I know a shop near Juhu who sells the best Chole Bhature. I want to find a new nuance with you. Please?"

I round my eyes in surprise. "Isn't that the delicious one I tried in Pakistan? When we were visiting your family?"

He nods. "Juhu Beach is not crowded at this hour. I will make sure we are safe. Please?"