Chapter 3: Unexpected Company

For the entire day until late hours, Bradley and his crew were helping the tankers repair their tanks. When they were about to leave, Bradley stopped and gestured Turner and Dunford to start the helicopter and went to say goodbye to Dmitri and his friends.

Tankers didn't stop cheering and kept thanking the Americans for the help.

Dmitri: "Thank you, Bradley. It means a lot to us." he happily thanked him.

Bradley: "No sweat. This is how Freedom helps others in need - in style!"

Zhukov: "Reminds me of Operation Pegasus."

Che/Leonidas/Genghis: "THAT'S IT!"

Before he entered the helicopter, he waved at the tankers and saluted to Zhukov who saluted back, smiling.

Bradley: "See you soon, friends!" he winked.

Dmitri: "Goodbye, Bradley!"

Everyone: "Goodbye!"

The helicopters then took off and left. Tankers were watching as the helicopters slowly flew in the distance. Dmitri then though again about his last words before he left.

Dmitri: "I wonder what did he mean by 'see you soon'?" he thought.

Vanya: "Will they visit us again?"

Evgeniy: "Perhaps."

Ilya: "Oh, come on, you two. That's what you say before you leave - like a common phrase."

Dmitri: "Well, let's see what happens next."

...

Later that day...

Tankers trained till evening. Petrov observed the training as usual.

After tankers left their vehicles in garage and all commanders handed him the battle maps, and a group soon went back home.

Petrov: "Battle's in two days." he said, taking the maps from Dmitri's hands.

Dmitri: "Sadly, yes. I'm kind of getting nervous."

Petrov: "No need for that, son. I know you can do it." he tapped his shoulder.

Dmitri: "I hope we can. But again, we've got no one to rely on this time. It'll be tough."

Petrov: "Remember what I told you - never give up. Lavrinenko School helped a lot with intels so it should be okay."

Dmitri: "I hope so, even though I didn't ask for it. I always knew he is kind deep inside. So I'll do my best and not dissapoint him."

Petrov: "I'll be there to supervise the match with American team of judges helping me. We'll make sure everything goes according to regulations."

Dmitri: "Thank you so much, Vladimir. Then, I'll see you tomorrow."

Petrov: "It's quite late to walk alone. Come on, I'll drive you back home."

Petrov then tapped his shoulder again and they drove to Kolobanov Residence.

...

The next day...
One day before match...

Dmitri and Yuri took their dog, Strelka, for a walk around neighborhood. Dmitri suddenly bumped into a tree after he got lost in thoughts.

Dmitri: "Ow! Damn..."

Yuri: "Are you OK?" he said, checking on his slightly red forehead.