Chapter 29

Chapter 29

*BELLA’S POV*

I glanced over at Edward’s tortured face. He looked back at me, and tried to force a smile.

“Worry not love, we will find her.” He said, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

“Can’t we just go there now?”

Edward chuckled. “That’s what they want, Bella. They want us to come and try to save her, then they get us, like they have Nessie.” He sighed, and his face sunk. “I understand your grief, Bella, I really do. And I feel it also.”

I looked down. “I can’t just sit here and know she’s in danger, Edward.” I muttered.

“I feel the same way, but if we go too, nobody will return.”

That’s probably true. But still, I want to go get my daughter.

“Bella, do you know where the dog is?” Alice smirked, coming into the room. These days she doesn’t prance or dance, she sulks. It’s like her favorite doll is missing. No, not missing, hanging over a pot of poison, and she can’t do anything to help.

“I haven’t seen Jake, no.” I told her.

“That’s odd… Usually he comes to check for news. He hasn’t been around for a few days.”

“I’ll call him.” I said, feeling Edward’s pockets for his cell phone. Once I found it, I flipped it open and dialed Jacob Black’s number.

No answer.

He always told me to call twice if I really needed him.

So I called again.

“Bella?” His rough voice asked. He sounded out of breath.

“Jacob! Where are you?”

He hesitated before answering. “I’m getting back the girl we love.”

And he hung up.

“Jacob!?” I yelled, even though the only thing I got in return was the dial tone.

I knew Edward and Alice heard the conversation. Not really a conversation, but more of a suicidal message.

“Is there anything we can do?” Alice whispered, coming to sit beside me. She took the phone away from my ear and closed it, slipping into Edward’s waiting hand.

Two of the three most important people in my life are gone.

Alice gasped.

My head snapped in her direction.

“What do you see?” I asked.

Moments later, the life returned to Alice’s eyes. If that was possible.

“Aro is speaking with Jacob. Jacob is attempting to persuade Aro into letting Nessie come home with him.”

“That’s hopeless. Why would they trade for a dog?” Rosalie said rudely, going upstairs.

Alice shot her daggers in her glare.

“Crap! Now I can’t see anything! Jacob is blocking my visions!” She yelled, crushing the television remote in her tiny white hands.

“Well isn’t that convenient for them.” Edward said.

“What?” I asked.

“They must have used a mind manipulator, to convince Jacob into going to Volterra, so Alice can’t see her visions.”

Alice gasped. “That disgusting, stupid, horrible Aro!”

“What if that happens to one of us?” I thought aloud.

“The mind manipulators?” Edward asked.

“Yeah. We wouldn’t even know.”

“You have your shield for a reason, Bella.” Alice smiled at me.

I immediately stretched it to cover all my family members.

“We will get our Nessie back, Bella, I promise.”