17 The End?

Transforming back into Lailoken's physical form was no easy feat. His fog resisted, as if it knew his body wasn't in the right state. Sure enough, as soon as he stood on two legs, the world spun and he crumpled to the ground. River was by his side in an instant. She was a very smooth shifter, giving him another reason to be proud of his bloodline. A bat shifter—how retro. He hadn't met any bat shifters since the fourteenth century.

As she helped him sit against the van door, he said, "That blood trial took a lot of me. Get it? It took," he snorted, raising his fully healed wrists, "a lot of me?"

She shook her head at his joke, then she opened his eyelids and stared into his eye. "You are tripping so hard. What was in that blood?"

He giggled. "Yummy." He relaxed, enjoying the vertigo ride. It would be over in minutes anyway. "I'll tell you a secret. I like bloodlust."

The tips of her fangs poked out as she smiled. "I won't tell anyone." She looked out into the street. "Where is your Josie? The sun will rise soon."

"My Josie," he repeated, feeling warmth spread within him. It felt wrong to be apart. "I like my Josie."

"I know you do." She chuckled. "Lailoken, the ancient, in love with a human. Who would've thought."

"I'm not in love," he protested. "We're friends."

She scoffed. "Yeah, right. You made an enemy out of Philip Leonardo for a friend."

"An enemy?" Lailoken frowned. It was difficult to process information at the moment.

"Banshee was his granddaughter. I don't think he cared for her, but you hurt his ego. He's bound to hold a grudge. But don't worry. You'll be safe with us." She patted him on the shoulder. "Besides, you certainly left an impression. I don't think they'll forget who you are and what you're capable of anytime soon. No one would dare defy an ancient like you."

"You did."

She put her face in her hands. "I still can't believe I said all that. I hope you'll forgive me. I meant no disrespect."

He pulled her in for a hug. "Of course. And see? You thought you weren't brave. You are."

"Thank you." She pulled a flat object out of her pocket and made it light up. We have enough time until sunrise to get home, but the sky will be lightening any moment now."

"Hey. My Josie has a magical device just like that."

She showed it to him. "A cell phone?"

"She has this magical van too. See? No horses."

"What are you talking about? It looks like a regular van."

"There's an invisible music ensemble inside it too. Magic music."

She chuckled. "You're funny. You know, I'm going to repeat all of this to you tomorrow night when you're sober, and you'll be embarrassed."

"I'm mostly sober now. Just tired."

"Yeah, right."

Josie ran up to them at last. She was alone. "You got rid of the hunters," he said. "Good job, my Josie."

"Did they give you a hard time?" River asked.

"It's fine," Josie said curtly.

"My den isn't far. I'll drive," River said. "Do you have anything to clean his face with? My mama is a neat freak. I don't want this to be the first impression he gives her."

They helped him get in the back where he leaned against the metal wall and sighed deeply. The effects of the spiked blood were wearing off, leaving him with exhaustion after the ordeal of bleeding out. He would heal, especially after draining so many vampires, but he needed to rest.