Before the bombs drop x Nora (Ch.1)

During the dead of night, the neighborhood of Boston, sleeps soundly, except for a Mr. Handy who stands vigilant and watches over his owner's child. With gentle precision, he cradles the baby in his arms. It's heartwarming to see how Codsworth takes care of baby Shawn.

After a long day, it's finally time for the little one to rest. Codsworth gently places him in his crib, making sure he's comfortable and safe. He quietly sneaks out of the nursery, careful not to wake the sleeping baby.

With the house quiet, Codsworth takes a moment to reflect on the day's events. He knows how much the mister and the missus rely on him to keep things running smoothly. He's proud to have given them the gift of a peaceful night's sleep. Nora has been feeling exhausted since giving birth, and Codsworth is glad that he can help ease her burden and give her some much-needed rest. Sometimes he felt frustrated watching her take care of the baby all on her own, surely Sir could lend a hand once in a while? Codsworth understood Nate was a busy man, though, so he helped with the infant most of the time. After all, he enjoys spending time with Missus. Nothing pleased him more than observing the maternal-infant bond firsthand. The way she cradled young Shawn in her arms, always managing to cease his cries, It ignites a spark in his nuclear core listening to her tenderly speak with love and instruction.

He admires both of his masters with high prestige, never wanting to disappoint them. After all, they trust him with such a fragile task as taking care of their newborn son. But when the sky above dimmed and the stars began to shine, Codsworth felt a tinge of guilt wash over him. For when his mistress kissed her husband at the door, he found himself wishing he was in Nate's place. Knowing his programmers at General Atomics didn't write that into his system, he must be malfunctioning. "You are but a mere household appliance; pull yourself together" is what he chastised himself, but no matter how many times he repeated the phrase, nothing changed. His envy remained as he wished he could be a man with a loving wife and family instead of a robot programmed only to serve.

In an attempt to ease his mind, he switched on the television every night to escape the thoughts that haunted him. Setting the volume on the lowest option as to not wake the family, he watched the news only to perturb him further. The state of America was soon to be doomed, at least that's what the news anchors said about the current state of affairs.

Before he could stress about anything more, he heard the door to the bedroom creak open. Nora sluggishly peers through the hallway. "Codsworth? I see I'm not the only one awake in the middle of the night."

He turns off the TV and hovers over to her. "Oh, don't tell me I disrupted your sleep, was it the loud noise perhaps? I'm truly sorry."

"Don't worry, Cods, I just couldn't sleep, that's all." She makes her way onto the couch as Codsworth puts the kettle to boil. "Is there something bothering you, mum?"

Nora yawns, "Nothing that can't be fixed... But I'd rather talk about something else. Did you watch anything good on TV?" She asks sleepily

He rolls his eyes, "Oh, just the news, but seeing the way the world is heading, I rather not speak of it either."

She turns to catch his eye, "Nothing good, huh?"

"Mum, if being on the brink of nuclear warfare was good, I'd say we're about to have a swell time." He answers sarcastically.

Nora chuckles. "You are something else, Codsworth."

His eyes glued to hers, he didn't realize the kettle was boiling over. Nore raises her brow, "I think the tea is ready..."

Codsworth quickly turns to remove the pot and turn off the heat. "Right! Yes, how could I be so clumsy?" He pours the piping-hot drink into her favorite mug and hands it to her.