Chapter Thirty-One - Raid Vaziri

Present day

Outskirts of Albemarle, NC

"I can walk," Stef mumbled unconvincingly into Raid's shoulder as he carried her from the car towards the safe house.

It was nothing different from what she'd been saying the entire way back, and her protests still remained as limp as her posture. What was with this girl and not allowing anyone to take care of her? "Do you want to walk?" Raid asked, already knowing the answer. Stef was starved of blood and drained of power. She'd been in and out of consciousness since the vision in the Hanging Fields had ended. He'd even cradled her on his lap on the ride home. She was in no fit state to walk. Still, if she wanted to stumble and stagger her way indoors, it wasn't going to be the worst danger she'd faced that evening. "I can put you down right now, if you'd like."

Stef didn't consider this for long. "No," she decided petulantly, her arms clinging tightly around him.

"Yeah, I didn't think so."

Zara was waiting in the living area as the five of them entered. She had already set up a cushion and blanket on the couch when she walked over to them. "Alhamdulillah! I got your message. How's she doing?"

Raid stopped just before the staircase. "She's really tired. I might put her to bed."

"I'm not going to bed, I'm not tired," Stef insisted, despite having not opened her eyes since they got out of the car.

When Zara waved her arms proudly at the makeshift bed she predicted would be needed, Raid nodded his thanks to her. "Okay, you're going on the couch," he told her.

"I'll go on the couch," she agreed sleepily. But as soon as Raid placed her down and started pulling the blanket over her, she jolted onto her elbows with drowsy panic, "Where's Flick?"

Zara crouched down beside Stef and stroked her hair reassuringly. "She's fine, don't worry, she's resting, just like you." Checking that Stef's eyes were closed after sinking back down onto the cushion, Zara looked at Gabe with a tense cringe that wasn't as comforting as her words suggested. She placed her arms above her head as bunny ears, ran a finger along her throat in a slicing motion, then pointed upstairs to where Flick was.

Gabe copied the direction of her pointing. She killed the rabbit? he mouthed in concern.

Oh shit! Phoenix mouthed at Zara's confirmation nod, putting a fist over his lips to prevent a loud exhale after his sharp intake of breath.

Zara stood, beckoning them all towards the dining table. It wouldn't prevent Stef from hearing if she tried, but they just had to hope she was too exhausted. "They both need human blood. I'm going to have to go out to find some."

"You're not going anywhere," Adam stated. "It's been over twenty-four hours, right? Our blood should be safe." He nodded towards Raid. "You see to Stef, I'll see to Flick."

Zara looked at Adam as though she was waiting for a catch. "You'd do that?"

Adam stepped up to Zara, bringing his face close to hers, his jaw set. "After everything that's happened, you're not leaving this fucking house tonight." He then turned to walk in the direction of the stairs, heading to Flick's room.

For a moment, Zara couldn't move. Her emotions flipped between finding Adam incredibly selfless and finding him outrageously possessive. She reacted on the latter. She quickly followed him, snapping, "I'm insulted!"

He didn't look back as he started up the stairs, quipping dryly, "What else is new?"

Zara barked at him from the lower landing, "You don't get to order me around."