April Showers Bring the Same Old Hours

Chapter 1

     Damn, do people know how to do anything at all around here?

     I sighed and shut the door, turning back to the disastrous place called our house. Every time I leave, something goes wrong. screws, motors, and newspapers were scattered everywhere. No doubt it's all Anthony's. That little nerd tries doing too many things at once. I laughed at the thought of my little brother as I untied my high tops. An oh-so-familiar smell drifted through the air

     Wait... is that smoke?!

     Shit, not again.

     I jumped up so fast I almost tripped on my half-tied shoelace. Dodging shattered vials and liquid, I sprinted over to the small flames that had started in the corner of the foyer, stomping on blackened newspaper until all that was left was the fine powder of ash. Wouldn't it be nice if Anthony left the mechanical tools in the garage?

     "Oh hey Y/n"

     "Anthony! Dude! That's the third time you've almost burned down the house this week–"

     "There was a fire?"

     "–and it's only Tuesday!"

     He grumbled, "Nice to see you too," as I ruffled his hair and pushed past him. "How did babysitting go?"

     "Oh, you know, same old, same old. Nothing much happens when you're hired to watch over angels." I was right. Where's the fun in spending hours with kids who will do nothing but homework? I mean, good for them, but still! Anthony laughed, sitting back down to continue what he was working on. I set my bag on my chair and crouched down next to him. The blueprints scattered around were unfamiliar to me.

     "What are you working on now?" You would think reading a genius kid's handwriting would be easier. His was probably worse than mine, and that's a stretch.

     "We're doing these presentations in school...I'm not quite sure what I'm gonna do yet." A completely lost expression took over his face. That's something I never thought I'd see.

     "What's that? My know-it-all brother is confused about school?" I teasingly shoved his shoulder.

     "Shut up"

     I sat with him for a moment as he finished working, assessing the damage to our living room

     "Come on," I said, standing up and reaching my hand to him, "You know how Dad freaks out when there's a spot on the floor" 

                                                                                           ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

     My weekends were often busier than most. In addition to spending time with friends, family, and my hobbies, softball season was starting back up. Summer was peaking around the corner, as it is for every student after spring break. It was late April and the temperatures were already creeping up. On a Sunday afternoon, I found myself in my best friend Charvi's bedroom.

     We laid on her neatly made bed, though the rest of her room was a mess. We had been silent for a couple of moments, lost in our thoughts.

     "Do you think that he-"

     "I swear to God, Charvi, if you start overthinking again about that stupid boy, I'll-"

     "He's not stupid!"

    "I heard him ask if Abraham Lincoln was the first Black president since the penny is brown."

     She paused. "Everyone has their negatives."

     "Don't even try to brush that off."

     "Boo! Can't your best friend dream a bit?"

     "Girl you can dream as much as you want but Boston Everett? Out of all the hot boys in our school? You deserve and could easily pull anybody better"

    A short hmph came from her side of the bed. I stared at the ceiling a bit more, my hands lightly messing with the comforter we laid on.

     I rolled over to face her "I've heard that Gladiator movie is good"

     "Tell me again why I want to relive my 7th-grade history class in a movie theater?"

     "Oh come on, what else are we going to do?"

    "Stay here"

     "You're no fun"