Mocha and Maniacs

Chapter 2

     There was no gun (at least not in sight) yet isn't it crazy how scary a person can be within a few seconds?

     Now you're probably wondering how I got here. Let's take a little rewind, shall we?

     Friday, April 28. I stayed home from school due to a horrible-sounding cough. My mom was at work, my dad at a meeting in St. Louis. I drove my brother to school. It was technically illegal since I'm one month short of the age necessary to obtain a driver's permit. But they don't need to know that.

     With my schoolwork in my backpack, I drove past the familiar orange sign of my favorite cafe. My brain stopped. Why not? I figured I could finish all my homework, get a coffee, grab some donuts for my family, and be home by 11:00. I took the next turn leading me to the cafe parking lot.

     I parked, grabbed my backpack, and shut the door. This wasn't a great part of town, you could smell it in the air. But that never stopped anyone from making one hell of a coffee, did it?

     The doorbell rang as I stepped into the small shop. I could feel that water through the floormat, remnants of yesterday's rain showers. "Welcome to Ollie's! I can help you when you're ready" I turned my attention to the young woman who spoke behind the counter. You have to believe when I say that she was completely and utterly:

     Drop. Dead. Gorgeous.

     She had caramel skin and her hair was in a ponytail, that totally gave Kat from 10 Things I Hate About You vibes. But like, it was such a beautiful red hair color that complemented her everything perfectly. You think you've seen pretty people? Just look closer in your everyday life to see how wrong you are. That's what I just learned

     "Good morning!" Jesus my voice sounded terrible. I coughed briefly, trying to clear my throat. "Can I just get a small hot mocha for now? I'm planning to get some food on my way out"

     "Of course, that'll be $2.50. Can I get your name?"

     "Y/n. That red looks so stunning on you by the way" I motioned to her hair

     "Aw thank you so much! I just got it done yesterday." she smiled at me and handed me my receipt "We'll have that out in just a minute"

     "Thank you" I walked over to a table by the windows. I plopped my backpack next to me on the bench. Friend crushes are so real.

     "Number 23?" Another lady called from the counter. I grabbed my coffee from the pick-up area, the scent of chocolatey heaven already starting to wake me up.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

     It must have been half an hour before the cafe started to get busy. You know a day is gonna be good when you time something like this just right.

     "Are you busy?"

     I looked up and took my earbuds out. It was the redhead cashier. "Not at all. Can I help you?"

     "You mentioned getting something to go? I just wanted to make sure you got what you wanted before the big rush comes in" Not gonna lie she almost looked flustered, and that shit gets me blushing too. I know the offer could've been taken as a marketing strategy but I could tell she was sincere.

     "Oh my gosh you're so sweet" I stood up to follow her back to the counter. "I'm planning to get some donuts for my family so I'll just get a dozen"

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

      With the donut box in my hand, I paid for them at the register. "Do you have a break coming up soon? I'd love to sit down and have a coffee with you if that's not too much to ask"

     She smiled at me. For the first time, I looked for her name tag: Crystal. She glanced at the clock while she handed me my change. "Yeah, just gimme a few minutes"

    I nodded and took the orange box of donuts back to my table. The coffee rush ebbed and flowed, so now it was quite peaceful in the tiny cafe on the corner of Wentworth.

     Within a couple of minutes, the young lady joined me, two coffees in hand. I was surprised she wasn't in school, for she looked around my age. "On the house," she said, sitting down across from me and sliding me another mocha. 

     "Stop it," I grinned "Thank you."

     We talked for as long as Crystal's break would allow. Although I had just met her, I could tell she was a kind-hearted person with a sense of humor and a good sense of personal boundaries. It makes you think, what if there is more to people in general? All you gotta do is give people a chance; and believe in humanity as a whole I guess. Like I said,  who knows what you might discover if you just look closer?

     Of course, I wanted to sit with Crystal for longer, but I couldn't wipe the smile she put on my face as she walked back to her job. The rush was getting bad, so I decided to finish up within the next couple of minutes.

     BAM! "Where the hell is she?"

     Three men stormed through the door. The one who shouted stood taller than the rest and looked like he beat cows for a living. Except in a city. With handguns weed and alcohol. Yippee.

     "Where is who, sir?" The lady who made my coffee asked. Crystal was nowhere to be seen.

     Oh.

     "You know damn well who, Nicole." the lead man strode angrily toward the room behind the counter. Nicole tried her best to stop him from passing that countertop. From where I was sitting it looked like it had worked. Or the man was trying not to cause more trouble than needed, though I highly doubt that.

     "Sir! " Nicole's voice started to rise too.

     "I know you're back there, Chrissie!" there was a hint of slur in his voice "You better have that money and come out with it or I'll beat you myself, whore!"

     "Are you looking for Crystal?" I shot up from my seat, my steps hitting the tile floor louder than I desired. He turned to me. At least I've got him for now. "I'm afraid you've missed her. She just left to stop at the gas station"

     "Do you think I'm slow? Her car is right fucking there!"

     "She took mine. Hers is almost empty, hence going to the station"

     "You're lying, I've never even seen you before"

     "I had coffee with her two minutes ago. My car's a '98 red Camry, find it for all I care. Just please, get out"

     He looked at his friends for a moment. Too many moments. But they stormed back out the door, making sure to dramatically push through the line of people waiting to order. The loudest silence I had ever heard took over the cafe as we listened to their truck as they drove off. I'm sorry to whoever has a '98 red Camry and is on Wentworth Street right now. 

     Eventually, the desire for coffee overpowered the aftereffects of sudden fear. The cafe began to bustle and the music fully registered in my ears again.

     A door swung open. Feet pounded against the floor. I turned just before a body slammed into me.

     Tears ran down Crystal's face as she thanked me. She held me tight like she never thought she'd be saved from what that man had put her through. She was a strong woman, but that kind of thing can make all of us crumble. My eyes were starting to burn.

     She pulled back. I gave her the most genuine smile I could muster. "It's not your fault, okay? It's not your fault"

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

      I had already left Crystal a generous tip, with my number written on a torn corner of notebook paper. I wouldn't find out until later that she purposely cut my price while ringing up my donuts.