The Circus

Chapter 3 

     "Hey Y/n!"

     "What's up, Malcolm?" The two boys climbed into the backseat of my family's car.

     "N-"

     "Where's Mom?" My brother cut him off

     "Wow, am I really that bad, Anthony?" I laughed

     "No, I-"

     "She's gonna be a bit late tonight. She left me a voicemail at home" I pulled out of the school's parking lot.

     "Did I hear something about a carnival tomorrow?"

     Malcolm groaned in indifference. I could almost see Anthony's face through the back of my head.

A big difference between my brother and his best friend:

One thrived in the repercussions of being incredibly smart.

     "There's no way you're actually excited about this" I could sense an uneasy tone in Malcolm's voice. Maybe that was just me.

     "Are you joking? I mean it's silly, but we get to do anything! In front of an audience! What are you doing for yours?"

     "I don't know yet"

     "Funny, mine's called the same thing"

     "Well, either way, I'll be there," I said, turning the car into our driveway "Shi- shoot, was I supposed to pick up Stevie too?"

     "He walked home." I shot my brother a glare as he bit back a grin.

     "His mom picked him up," Malcolm said to me "I think they were going somewhere"

     "Okay" I parked the car in our garage. Stepping out of the driver's seat, I could see the boys already heading towards the door.

     Malcolm turned to Anthony, suddenly remembering something. "Francis will be in town"

    "Tomorrow?" Malcolm nodded. They both smiled and ran inside the house. I followed behind them, locking the car doors.

     "Hey!" they turned back to me "There's donuts on the counter if you guys want some"

     "Really?" Boy, my brother did not hesitate to take off for the kitchen.

     "One each though, okay?" I joined them in the kitchen, Anthony already scarfing a chocolate ring down. With 3 gone right now, there'd be 3 for me, my mom, and Anthony in the morning.

     "When do you have to be back home?" I looked at Malcolm, who was just starting to eat a donut of his own.

     "Doesn't really matter, I'd hate to be a burden though"

     "Don't worry about it. Honestly, stay for dinner if you'd like" I slapped my brother's hand, who was already reaching for another donut.

     "Really? He can stay?!"

     I smiled and shrugged. "I don't care. But if you almost set the house on fire again Anthony I'll kill you"

     My brother grinned, giving me a mock salute before running off, dragging Malcolm with him. Anthony was fucking restless. All. The. Time. Malcolm was still eating his donut. He held it up in my direction, "Thanks" he said as best as he could while he tried to finish it quickly.

     "Yeah, thanks Y/n!"

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

     "Welcome to the Academic Circus!"