Explanations, Fear, and Apologies

Freak

Chapter 3

~Explanations, Fear, and Apologies~

Alex                                                                                                                                                                            My chest felt extremely heavy, like it was being crushed. I was waiting for Brad and Cass' reaction to all the news I had just told them. I had confessed everything I knew to them. Brad's face showed only one emotion, fear. Tears welled in my eyes as I forced my head to turn in order to see Cass' expression. Hurt and shock, but no fear. Brad got up and quickly ran out the door. ''Brad!'' I heard Cass yell. She got up and followed behind him. My cheeks were stained with tears as they ran down and fell onto my shirt.

       A sob escaped my throat. I buried my face in my hands and cried. There were hands around my back and soothing words that my brain couldn't comprehend. When I pulled my hands away I looked up to see Ethan, who I had only just met, sitting near me. His hand rested on my back and soothing words still came from his lips. ''It's okay. I'm sure Cass just went to talk to him. I have a feeling she wouldn't leave you.'' He said.

       Just then, as if called in on queue, Cass walked in and Brad, with a shamed look on his face, in toe. Brad came up to me and hugged me. ''I'm sorry. I was just scared. I should have known not to be. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so-'' he apologized but I stopped him, ''It's okay. I would have reacted the same way. Just forget that ever happened.'' He smiled, knowing he was forgiven.

       Suddenly Cass spoke up, ''Holy shit, Alex. That's a lot of pressure on you. Savior of the world and all. I think no different of you. After all, we have been best friends for years!'' I smiled and hugged her. ''I just left to talk to Brad.'' she said. Ethan gave me an I-told-you-so look and smirked. I just rolled my eyes. ''So,'' Brad said from behind me, ''What do you look like when, you know, shift?''

       I turned to look at him, ''Want to see?'' I asked, excitedly. Brad had slight fear in his eyes but nodded, I looked to Cass and she did as well. ''Ethan? Emma? Hunter?'' I asked. They all nodded, Ethan looking more excited that the others. Excitement and extreme interest was plastered over Ethan's face. I backed up from everyone a little bit and began the shift.

       The only sound in the room was was crackling of my bones realigning. I could feel my face shifting and the pain was almost none. I looked down at my hands which were now fur covered and clawed. My legs toned and hairy. Cass gasped. I turned ny giant head to examine every ones faces. Emma and Hunter looked at me in awe, Brad had slight fear in his eyes but looked amazed, Cass looked very impressed with me, after all nothing could shock a best friend, Ethan looked awed and very impressed.

       My gaze turned to the floor to see my clothes in shreds. I shot a pleading glance at Cass, then down at the shredded clothes. She obviously took my hint and grabbed some clothes from my bag. I reached out a giant clawed hand and took them. Of course she had picked out a dress and, obviously, undergarments. She made everyone turned around.

        The crackling of my bones realigning back into human form came louder than before. When the shift back was done I dressed. ''Cass, did you have to pick out a dress. You know how much I hate them.'' I looked down at my now revealed legs, they had several scars on them from Julia. My bare arms revealing their secrets as well. All the skin that had not been revealed before had scars on it, burns whips etc. Cass and Brad already knew about these but there were sharp intakes of breath from both Hunter and Emma. Ethan had a look in his eyes that could kill as they carefully traced down every scar.