three.

sarai santos - jan.18

After walking around King's Plaza for two hours with Bitchgust, I finally was on my way back home and it was pushing 7 o'clock. I got to my door as I funbled with my keys.

Before I could put the key in the door swung open. I cursed myself as I looked up, meeting Ayden's glare.

"Hey baby."

"Wassup." He said moving to the side, letting me in. I dropped my shopping bags at the door and put my purse on the table.

I turned to him, but he walked around me.

"Ayden." I followed him to the kitchen. "I know you hear me talking to you." I said grabbing his arm, but he jerked away from me, making his elbow hit my lip. I licked my lips, tasting the blood and my eyes filled with tears.

"Fuck, my bad. Come here." He said, walking me into the bathroom.

He pointed to the toilet, "Sit down." I gave him a look before doing so. I watched him shuffle things around in the medicine cabinet before kneeling in front of me.

"I'on know why you neva' listen to me." He said, dabbing my lip with a cotton ball.

"I didn't do anything."

"Hangin' wit' otha' niggas is doin' somethin'."

"Alright Jayceon."

"I can't go nowhere without a nigga breakin' his neck tryna look at you."

I pushed his hand away. "How many times do I have to tell you? I don't see anyone other than you."

"You told yo ex that and was cheatin' wit' me."

I rose from the toilet, shoving his hands off me. "I'm not doing this. I'm going to bed." His footsteps trailed behind mine and he reached for my arm.

"Let me go!" I spat, trying to pull away from him.  I beat him upstairs to our bedroom. Once I was in the bathroom, I shut the door behind me and locked it.

"Sarai," His voice low with sorrow. "Open up, I'm sorry. I took it too far." The doorknob jiggled as he tried to open it.

I turned on the shower and begun taking off my clothes. "Alexa, play Obviously by Alex Mali." Soon her voice was the soundtrack of my thoughts while I washed away the day.

While washing my hair, my mind drifted off to what Ayden said. Yes, 3 years ago, I'd cheated on my ex Menelik. But it's not so clear cut. The relationship had lies, cheating and just pure toxicity all through it. Menelik had 2 children outside of our relationship, which I didn't know about until afterwards. When I met Ayden, we became friends through mutual friends, but it wasn't until I was damn near moving my things out of Menelik and I's shared apartment that we'd had sex. I called a group of friends over to help get my things out and he was a plus one of the 5 I'd asked to help.

One by one, my friends has begun to leave out due whatever they had going on, but I had to get my bed frame taken down. We got to talking, then we had a few shots to commemorate my new beginnings and the bed frame didn't get taken apart until days later. I'd told Menelik what occurred and while the 'break' we were on was meant to be a chance for us to try to restart our relationship, it solidified the fact that it was over.

I rinsed off for the last time, turned off the water and stepped out of the shower. I wrapped my robe tightly around me, then reached and unlocked the door.

"Sarai, look!" said Nyla as she held up her Peppa Pig coloring book, around her a mess of crayons and colored pencils.

"Oooh, I can't wait to color with you mami." I smiled at her as I walked towards my closet. I met eyes with Ayden, who looked rightfully pitiful. Once inside, I started to shut the door behind me, but was met with a foot in the door. I turned around as Ayden walked in, closing the door behind him.

I turned my back to him as I shuffled through my panty drawer. I felt his hands rest gently on my waist and a warm breath behind my ear as he spoke lowly.

"Put these on." He lifted up some pink boy shorts. I grabbed them from his hand as I turned to face him.

"I'm sorry bae. I know you ain't fuckin' 'round on me. I shouldnta said it. I apologize." He pulled me closer to him as he laid his head on my shoulder, softly kissing on my neck before I moved slightly away.

"It hurt my feelings because you should know me better than that by now...if you don't then maybe that's a conversation we should have."

"My prol'em ain't wit'chu. I jus' don't trust that nigga."

I nodded. "Well that's my friend and he's never disrespected me or our relationship. I need you to communicate with me what the issue behind us being friends is." I untied the robe and slipped on the panties then went to his side of our closet.

Ayden sighed and leaned on the door. I could guess why he didn't want me friendly with other men, but I can't read minds.

"It ain't even that bae. I jus' know you amazin' woman and a nigga get jealous 'cuz I'on want anotha' nigga seein' that and tryna' push up on ya'."

"If any man were to express interest in me, I'd dead it and distance myself." I slipped on one of his plain white tank tops and a pair of black briefs boxers. "You are who I love, am in love with and I wouldn't trade you for anyone or anything." I made my way back over to him. I looked him in his eyes as my hand caressed his face.

"You hear me?"

He nodded as he grabbed my hand and kissed it. We made our way back into the bedroom where Nyla was still enjoying her coloring book.

"Did you guys have anything for dinner?"

Ayden returned to his side of the bed. "It won't no one hea' to cook."

I cut my eyes at him before I cuddled up next to Nyla on the floor. "Are you hungry baby?"

She nodded her head, "Daddy made us lunch but it won't like yo' food."

"Nyla, you'a really slime me out when Sarai come aroun'."

"Babe, you wanna do UberEats?"

ayden in the mm. 🙇