The City- III

Maherty watched as the lone rider made his way towards him. His radio wasn't working, but he could see the men scrambling in the square, the flare, and private Bricco. When the rider got to him, Maherty gave him a bag of supplies, and told him to go back to HQ.

The rider sped off, but Maherty felt dread settle inside him.

"Get us ready for battle." He tells the crew.

The horde of shrieking, growling creatures heads towards the troops. Men open fire, using every ounce of firepower to try to kill these monstorsities. The creatures fall in droves, but more keep coming. Eventually, they break through on one side. They visciously tear into both man and metal, brutally killing. The tanks keep firing, slaughtering monsters, their claws bouncing off the armor, but the men outside aren't so lucky. A shell whistles in, and detonates, killing many creatures. The Abrams continues to fire, as the monsters begin to stream towards it. They are faster than the tank, at full speed, Maherty observes.

"Alright boys, full speed ahead, time to ram these things." The heavy tank accelerates quickly, its full weight heading towards the horde. There are explosions as the creatures blow up the light tanks and trucks.

The Abrams smashes into the mass of seething reptiles, killing them in droves. They try to cling to the tank, but find no purchase, or are shaken off. The gun fires, and the hatches are sealed. It murders creatures, but begins to slow down, facing the combined weight of the beasts. It is finally brought to a stop.

"Sorry. I truly am. Do you understand what we must do?" Maherty says to the crew. They all nod grimly. One piles all the explosives by the ammunition and fuel tanks. They take anything that can be shrapnel, and put it next to the pile of explosives. One man hit a fuse, as the creatures pile on to the tank.

It detonates. Huge tank shells, big fuel tanks, as well as a few grenades and some C4, plus bullets and other shrapnel, explode outward. Metal, composites, ceramic, plastic, blood, and flesh fly off, spraying everywhere. Creatures lie, dead and dying. Hundreds have been killed in the blast. The creatures cease their baying, and begin to file into the temples, or the houses. They are awake, and now ready to retake their old empire. Some immediately begin to clean up traces of the people, while others begin to clear rubble or repair buildings.

The lone rider sits, with a personal video camera, having caught the whole thing on tape. He speeds off, as the sun begins to set.

Thanks for reading! I hope you liked this. I tried to be original myself, but stay as true to the Lovecraft story as possible. Please, vote or give me some feedback on what you thought! I love hearing anything that people have to say, and I will make sure to reply. If you are a Lovecraft fan, I sincerely hoped you enjoyed this, and the original story. If this is all new, and you want to read the original, (Or any Lovecraft for that matter,) Let me help you.

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/nc.aspx

This is the link. If you decide to read, let me know! If you want, read my other works, you might like them. Subscribe for more writing, and give me some quick suggestions or requests?

       Will