Chapter 7

"Do you think," Luna began, inching closer to Mora on the window nook, "this will affect your succession?"

"What do you mean?" It was hard to school her face into a neutral expression. Mora's forehead creased and her nose scrunched in annoyance without her thinking much about them.

The two best friends were sitting in Mora's room, trying to catch that day's sunset. The sky was a mesmerising sight of blue, pink and orange. Mora had always liked the color orange, a reminder of her power, of her gift, and her duty. Luna's question had tore her focus away from the sky, forcing her to look at her. 

She'd of course told Luna everything. Her parents worries. The alleged weakening of their powers. The engagement. 

"I've thought about it, when you two get married-"

"If!" Mora's tone was sharp. She had made up her mind to look for a way to turn that 'if' into a lovely 'never'.

"Okay, if," Luna wasn't convinced, "you two get married and unite Eranis and Atlantia, there'll be one kingdom. One kingdom cannot be ruled by two royal families. He'd be king and no matter how forward society seems to have come, when the opportunity presents itself, patriarchy will take the lead."

Patriarchy. The word, and of course the practice of the idea, was one of the things that their ancestors hadn't been able to leave behind when they erected the borders and locked the rest of the world out. It was part of the reason Queen Shozi always seemed worried, always wanting Mora to know to look over her shoulder, to always be ready to prove herself. She'd never seen, or heard anyone, challenge her ability as future queen, and she wondered if she'd care much about someone that wanted to doubt her simply for being a girl. From the moment she'd understood that the throne was hers, she'd done everything to be ready, and no one had the right to question that. It was her birthright. Marrying another prince though...

She let out a heavy sigh before deciding to reply. "Are you saying I'd lose my power?"

Of course that was what Luna was saying. That exactly what would happen. The night before she'd been unable to sleep, only managing to still her thoughts as dawn had approached. Many thoughts had plagued her mind, and that had been one of the most persistent ones.  very thought that kept her awake at night. She'd been prepared to take over since she was born, how could she suddenly prepare to be only queen consort? She was meant to be queen and lead her people. She, and only she, would lead her people. An Atlantian would never care for Eranians. Even if they united the two kingdoms, the skies forbid, but if that happened, she had a feeling it wouldn't end well for them. The Atlantians were a backward people, that much she was sure of, and that was all the confirmation she needed that they would also entertain the patriarchy. They would expect their son to be the King and Mora would be his Queen. 

The very idea made her ball her hands into fists at her sides. Hadn't her parents thought of that? If she felt that protective of the crown and her people, her parents' had to share the same feelings. Theirs had to be more intensified. 

"I still think I should do something to stop this whole wedding nonsense." Mora says, looking away. The colors in the sky are darkening. 

"What can we even do. My m-" Luna catches herself before saying more than she should and she's grateful that Mora doesn't seem to notice. "I doubt there's much to be done. From what you've told me, this is the only solution. If you lose your powers..."

Luna doesn't finish the thought. Mora looks at her once more. "Something's telling me it's not the only solution."

"What other one could there be?"

"I don't know," Mora's nose wrinkles as she chews on the inside of her lower lip, "but I know where to start looking for answers."

"Where?" Luna's eyebrows arch with curiosity. She knows there's no other solution, her mother told her that much but she doesn't have the heart to tell her best friend. Would she be able to accept it if someone told her she had to marry an Atlantian? And not just any but the half-breed born from a spell that should have never existed? Even her mother, powerful as she is, shudders at the mention of Kai River. That is the same boy her best friend is expected to marry. She puts aside her mother's words, that the marriage is the only way, that they cannot take risks, and decides to entertain Mora. "Where, Mora?"