Chapter 8

The shock diffused on Mora's face as the air suddenly grew heavy with tension. She didn't know what her betrothed looked like. She didn't care. Here he was, in front of her, now. The vile descendant of disloyal and treacherous Rivers. Surely her father couldn't think this lowly of her standards; fading powers or no fading powers. 

Kai had no doubt it was the heir to Eranis' throne before him. He clenched his jaw and it suddenly twitched. He had never come face to face with a Mollo. He'd imagined it a few times, and it had all gone the same way in his thoughts, they would die immediately. The sooner he rid the world of them, the sooner he could escape the clutches of his father's greed and fear. He closed his eyes, not too long for anyone to notice his distress, but long enough for him to calm himself. He had to keep up the playful demeanor. 

"It would seem you don't." His spine lengthened as his hands disappeared behind his back. Everything about him already screamed uncouth and a pain in the ass. From the way his hair messily fell over his eyes and his curls stood in various angles. The multiple loose threads in his clothes and the way only one arm of his shirt was folded to his elbow.  

"I do know you." Mora heard from her tone that she was failing at feigning indifference. She straightened her back and lifted her chin. "Aren't you supposed to be sick? On your deathbed."

Kai ignored the sharp bitterness in Mora's voice. He'd share her sentiments if he weren't too busy being entertained by the regal act she was putting on. Was that really who he was expected to marry? Who wore such showy jewelry and clothes to sneak out at night? Then again who was to say she had sneaked out? Perhaps she'd been able to make up an excuse and didn't have to suspiciously jump over her high palace walls.  

He put on a cheeky smile and spread out his arms like a circus master before replying. 

"What are you doing here?"

"If I had to take a wild guess," Kai's eyes left hers for a second as he studied her companion, "I'd say the same thing as you are."

"You want to find a way to stop our marriage?"

"Of course!" A grin spread across his face.

"Well, that's a bit insulting." Luna whispered to Mora, who almost rolled her eyes.

"No, no," Kai chuckled, "I think we'll both agree we'd like to keep things as they are. I do not fancy becoming king to your people and the skies know I deserve a better queen."

"Undoubtedly insulting." Luna whispered again, managing to earn an eyeroll from her best friend. 

"Who says you'd be king?"

"What would I be if not king?" His smirk was accompanied by an arch of his eyebrow. "My title would comes without question; I am more powerful than you."

Kai's eyes darkened and without much thought, Mora lifted her right hand and a flame began dancing atop her palm. Luna grabbed her left arm just as Kai's eyes widened and he raised his own hand, creating a whirling ball of water.  

"Do not burn down my house," Thabitha's words reminded the two royals that they were not alone, "or flood it."

Mora's flame became extinguished and the ball of water disappeared just at the same time. Kai's hand disappeared behind his back and Mora flattened her palms against her skirt. Thabitha looked sternly between the two. "My granddaughter has no intention of making up with me and I am not ready to meet her demands so I would be rendered homeless."

"We're sorry, Thabitha." Luna was the one to speak, her grip on Mora's arm loosening.

"Now," A smile suddenly brightened up Thabitha's face as she sat back down the wooden chair, "there is a way to fix your little issues without marrying each other."