Plain Eyes

I was holding the newspaper in my hand, securely. The wind wasn't strong that day but I knew it could blow away.

The picture was similar, like I just saw her the other day, she didn't change enough for me to not recognise her.

I was surprised to find myself not sad, but shocked.

Seeing her pixelated eyes in the picture, they look the same. They weren't soft and didn't hold much shine, for her to be an animal lover.

Well, I was and am wrong.

Maybe they also held many emotions that day near the river.

----------------

The April sun was vibrant Gold and orange. I was tired from my Classes, the wind was blowing, Cool and refreshing.

The river was sparkling with gold and diamonds.

My perfect place, everything in this town, was how I wanted. Not boring or chaotic.

Students and office workers were crossing the bridge, some were chatting with friends and enjoying the air, and there were senior citizens with grandchildren or pets, couples and families.

Leaning on the rail of the bridge, I smelled the calming river. People were busy going to their homes and families, some enjoying the view, playing, eating, and writing. They looked happy, alone or together.

I knew she was there today too, leaning at the opposite end. Scribbling in the paper, seemed busy. She didn't look unique but rather blended with the crowd.

I saw her, looking at me, plainly she looked past me. I turned around to have a look.

Again to scribbling,

I turned around again.....Nothing.

I guess she saw a bird or something, the wind was strong.

It was getting cold, so I had to go home.

Next day it was warmer, I was visiting my friend's place to work on assignments, and after 5 minutes of gazing at the river, I went home.

As The days came, I looked at the river. Enjoued the scene and went home.

The river was golden in the autumn evening.

Now, it is small and dark, but the sun is warm, and the cool wind. Winter evenings were not meant for gazing, still, here I am.

Young people were the majority in winter. Busy and roaming around the bridge. No beautiful scenery, golden warm sun over the gloomy river, and chilly winds.

I still leaned over the rail, watching the setting sun. Sighing at how peaceful my days are.

A moving pencil caught my eye, it was her, scribbling away. She was focused.

I set my gaze again at the same old bright sun, then went home.

The next day, I went a little early, sun was still bright in the sky, as I leaned on the ledge. I heard someone.

It was her, she was much shorter in height, looking up close. She cleared her throat and asked me if I was free to talk to her about something.

Her voice was hesitant, she didn't know how to form sentences precisely.

I agreed to a have conversation, she looked around and asked whether I was willing to talk to her at the riverside, down below.

I agreed.

We walked to the riverside. Sighing, I walked slowly and she was two steps ahead of me.

Fewer people were at the riverside. More sun rays and more wind. she stood three steps away from where I was. Fumbling her scarf.

Now, that she was in front, I could tell she was a simple, plain girl, plain black eyes. Her cream bag was at her side, she wasn't wearing any makeup.

She looked at me and confessed, she has a crush on me.

Her eyes didn't seem confident, or nervous. Plain eyes and expression were similar same as everyday sun.

Waiting for me to say something.
I wasn't feeling much, it always felt like a task to me.

Thinking, I told her, she seemed like a sweet girl, and I didn't like the idea of bonding, then heartbreak after.

Expressionless, she nodded.

Then she smiled at me, telling me, I was correct, heartbreak is awful after one person has bonded so much.

She searched through her coat pocket, pulling out a folded piece of white paper.

Smiling Apologetically, she extended her both arms towards me.

I looked at her, getting the idea.

she said this was for me and I should read it whenever I am free, it was just one paragraph not much.

As I took the paper from her hand, wind gushed my loose grip.

I stood there watching, as the paper flew away, drowning in the river.

I looked at her, she was looking shockingly at the paper.

Scrunching my forehead, I apologised.

She 'tsked' and smiled at me again. saying it was ok. I do not have to worry about anything, and thanked me for my time and then we parted ways.

I saw her in December Again, scribbling away.

She never crossed my mind again.

-----------------

Now that I think about the past, would it be different if I had read that letter?

Now that I think about the past, it wasn't the fault of The river, the wind or the sun that didn't shined her eyes.

Now that I think about the past, I think about myself, guilty for my loosened grip.

Now that I think about the past, maybe she had turned around one last time, and I would have seen the sun reflected in her plain eyes.

Holding the fluttering newspaper, I didn't have much curiosity, all I wished to face her one more time.

I folded the paper, and let it go before , reading the picture one last time with my inked fingertips.

Activist Found Dead Near Bullwatin Creek: APTE Accused of Animal Abuse

The discovery of a 32-year-old activist's body near Bullwatin Creek has sent shockwaves through the community.

The activist had been a vocal critic of Animal Protection and Terrestrial Extricate(APTE), leveling accusations of animal abuse and illegal trading. With her hands bound and signs of struggle evident, including broken fingernails. suspicion falls heavily on the APTE.

As police grapple for leads, the community mourns the loss of a passionate advocate and demands swift justice in unraveling the mystery surrounding her demise.