Chapter 1-A Fateful Meeting

May 17th, 1815

I'm writing this journal only because my sister asked me to. Recently I've been suffering from fits of forgetfulness in my mind. She believes me to have a case of brain failure but I reassured her that all is well with my head. She didn't and still doesn't believe me so she asked me to keep a journal. I caved in. I am currently on my way to meet a stranger about receiving a job from an application he put in the papers.

It didn't say what the work would be but I do need money to help my sister who suffers from an ailment I have no knowledge of. I need money to support her operation of which I also have no knowledge of. I am a former policeman fired a year ago because of the department not having enough funds to pay all the officers. I should probably write down my name before I do end up forgetting it in a conversation; mainly by mistake or the slip of the mind. My name is Grady Evans and I'm 23 years old...

"Woah!" The man up front exclaimed as he pulled on the reins. Slowly the horses come to a stop and I exit the carriage. I reach back in to grab my suitcase filled with my history of work and my hat which according to my sister made me look fashionable. I looked up at the building in front of me: Investigations of the supernatural...Was I in the right place? It is the right address. I walk up to the door and I knock a couple times. The door suddenly opens.

Out steps a man dressed in a white shirt with overalls over his white shirt. He had short wavy black hair and a stubble beard on his chin. His black pants were worn and ripped at some points and his shoes were dark red slippers with one toe hanging out the front. His dark green eyes settled on my blue eyes and then they went up and down like they were investigating my character. He had a cup in his right hand that had a red stripe through the middle.

I shivered a little as his eyes gazed back upon mine and settled there for a few painful quiet moments. I gathered up the courage to break the silence. "Um...Mr. Edward Van Helsing?" He didn't answer my question. He just opened the door more, stepped out of the way, and gestured me inside. I followed his gesture and entered the building.

He slammed the door behind us and I jumped a little. "Mr Van Helsing?" I repeated. He didn't answer again actually he didn't speak at all only pointed to a chair next to the fireplace. I went over and sat down in the seat. If I wasn't so on nervous I would believe this to be comfortable. He picked up a cup of what looked like to be tea and handed it to me. I took the cup in my hand, nodded thanks, and took a sip.

He sat down in the chair across from me; his eyes still focused on mine. We both sat in silence along with the occasional crackling of the fireplace which looked to be dying down at this point. The light was fading and the wood looked like if used your breath upon it then it would turn to ash. I looked back at the man sitting across from me and put my cup down on the table that separated us by a few feet.

I pulled my suitcase on my lap and opened the case. I pulled out the newspaper from last week that had his ad on it and I pointed to the ad. "You're Mr Helsing correct?" He shrugged with lazy eyes almost as if I was boring him to death or that he was close to sleep. I was angry now. "Are you Mr Helsing?!" I was hunched over the newspaper on the table now; both my hands laid onto the table and I had fire in my eyes.

He took another sip from his drink. I hit the table. Hard. And my cup bounced to its side spilling onto the fancy carpet which did look false to me. I winced as the drink slowly fell to the floor and I was expecting there to be a big puddle of tea on this strangers carpet. I looked back at him expecting to see an angry face or at the very most on the edge of his seat ready to throw a punch. I looked back at him and our eyes met yet again but there was no anger. He wasn't on the edge of his seat ready to hit me rather he was very much slack in his chair. He took another sip.