Chapter 2-Castle Blood

The next morning I returned to his office where I brought a change of clothing and my journal as well. I reached his office door where he promptly opened the door and invited me inside. When the door closed behind us his chipper mood escalated. He was ecstatic about our gathering later this evening. He already had a case of his clothes and equipment in order. I did notice some strange items in which he enclosed the case with.

I noticed he packed a cross, a bottle of water in the shape of a cross, a wooden stake, and most strangely he put silver bullets in his case. Now I had seen no gun so I don't understand why he would bring such things to an engagement? I put my case on the floor next to the chair I sat in the previous night. He didn't seem to notice me.

I sat in the chair as I waited for him to finish getting his things ready. I looked around his office in more detailed and less terrified. I didn't see really anything different except for the paintings. The paintings looked different somehow I couldn't place what made them so different yet I felt something in my abdomen that said there was something not right with them. I occasionally have these feelings like that whenever I'm with my sister so it was quite strange feeling them without her in my presence. I looked to my right and saw a book titled: Bram Stokers Dracula.

I never saw this book before in my life so out of curiosity I picked it up and started to read. It was an interesting read no doubt however I didn't get to finish the first chapter. When I was nearing its end of the very first chapter Mr Helsing put his hand on the spine of the book and took it from me putting it in his book case. "Mr-" He waved his index finger at me in wrongness. Apparently taking the book and reading it without his permission must've angered him so. I started to apologize when he stopped me mid sentence once again. "Mr Evans if you wanted to read someone else's book please do not hesitate to ask." I nodded in embarrassment. He looked back at the book and sighed. Then he tossed the book in my lap. Confused I tried to speak again but he cut me off.

"There, it'll do you some good to research where we're going." "What, Mr Helsing?" "Yes Mr Evans it's true. He exists. Who do you think have Mr Stoker all his information on him? Me. Well Mr Stoker did dramatize it a lot for his audience but a lot of things in there are actual and true Mr Evans." He grabbed his suitcase while I was still in shock from this new revelation. "Well come on Mr Evans! We don't have all day to waste away we have a days carriage ride journey to our destination!" "Don't tell me we're going?-" He suddenly grew a huge smile on his face and it all but confirmed my suspicions. We weren't heading to just any destination. We were heading to Draculas Castle.

The forest we passed through in our carriage was dark and dangerous. We could hear the distant sound of thunder coming from afar. Each boom shaking me to my core as I knew this was an omen from the heavens. Mr Helsing suddenly slammed his hand onto the table separating us. He had a disappointed look to him. "You're no good Mr Evans if you can't even handle a little thunder." He was mocking me once again. We stared at each other for a few moments with that feeling returning to my abyss. Suddenly I was relaxed without cause or reason. I just stared at Mr Helsing and suddenly everything became a blur like time didn't matter anymore. Mr Helsing put his book back in front of me and told me to read. I did as he asked.

And what a marvelous read it was after all. The story of Dracula were in these pages and he told me to read so I read the whole book. It took the whole carriage ride in between sleeping and eating of course to almost finish this book. When I reached the final chapter of the book Mr Helsing again reached for the spine and took the book from my eyes. He smiled briefly before he closed the book. "Mr Evans do you now understand what we're up against?" "I think so Mr Helsing." "Mind telling me what is it you think?" "I-I think that even though Dracula is very very powerful he has a lot of weakness too like the women he loves or faith of the lord like a cross. He's a monster yet misunderstood. I feel like he kills out of necessity not fun or enjoyment. I don't think he's a horrible creature to say the least." After I was done Mr Helsing started to clapped as if I had down some great performance.

He stopped and spoke clearly, "You're right mr Evans. Dracula is a misunderstood creature who is blinded by hunger but what if I told you that he isn't a enemy of mine or yours. What if he found a way to never drink human blood again?" "What are you talking about Mr Helsing?" He looked out the window for a brief moment before answering as if he was trying to figure out what to say next. "Mr Evans I'm gonna tell you a secret. Dracula is not a bad guy. In fact he is a really good friend of mine." Before I even could utter a sound the carriage stopped. Mr Helsing smiled as he opened the carriage door to reveal a really gray atmosphere with few dead trees surrounding the area. Beyond where we entered the forest was a deep mist blocking sight from anything further down. We both get out of the carriage to which Mr Helsing was humming a joyful tune as he leapt down the steps. He payed the driver of the carriage for taking us this far but it looks like we'll be walking from here.

As we approached what locals called Castle Blood I noticed birds were dying mid flight to my right as we came closer to them like I had a disease that struck them down. It was as if my mere presence had killed them. I look to my left to see...nothing. No trees nor barely ground for them to grow in. It was like livings things didn't have a right to be here.