Chapter Three

Eddie made it back to the centre of the building, where he had agreed to meet Rachel. His heart sank when she wasn't there waiting for him. They'd agreed to check all the places the other had just checked, and to meet back here. So where was she? It should have taken her the exact amount of time that it took him. Something was wrong, he knew it.

He retraced her steps as he ran through the maze of corridors, coughing as the smoke floated into his lungs. He searched around desperately for Rachel, but there was no sign of her. The corridors were empty, having been consumed by raging flames.

"RACHEL!" he shouted

The silence worried him. She would have called back to him if she'd heard him, even if she was in trouble. That meant two things. She either wasn't in the building, or she was in major danger of some kind. Eddie went for the second option.

He continued moving down the corridor, dodging out of the way of the flames and the debris whilst scanning every inch of the first floor corridor. She had to be somewhere. He knew she wouldn't leave him, just like he wouldn't leave her. There had to be a reasonable explanation. Maybe a student or member of staff was trapped and injured and she was staying with them. Whatever the case, he hoped it wasn't her that was hurt. Or the baby. If he lost either of them, he didn't know what he would do.

His eyes fell on the imploded ceiling of the science block. The smoke and flames were worse in here than they were anywhere else, apart from the canteen. He coughed, placing a hand over his mouth, scanning the debris carefully. His heart hammered in his chest when he saw Rachel, lying just a few meters away from the rubble.

He dashed over, sighing painfully when he saw the blood covering her forehead and staining her hair, the large, hard bit of brick lying beside her. She was curled into herself, evidently trying to protect herself and the baby. She seemed to have done a semi- good job, her stomach seemed unharmed, but she didn't. He kneeled down next to her, moving the heavy ceiling panel off her ankle. He cringed when he saw the angle her left ankle was resting in. It was definitely broken.

"Rach? Rachel, can you hear me?" he asked, shaking her gently

There was no response. She lay there, motionless and unconscious.

Without a second thought, he lifted her carefully into his arms, heading for the exit.