Chapter II

Marie

I attempt to get earlier out of my mind as I stomp out my cigarette and walk to my first lesson, History.

'You're late, Marie,' Mr Casborne says, giving me a stern look, 'I can see you haven't changed much over the summer.'

'Consistent is my middle name, sir,' I joke.

Casborne doesn't seem to find it very funny, 'You'll have to sit next to Lewis at the back.'

I go to sit down, realising who Lewis is. It really is him. For fuck's sake. Maybe he doesn't recognise me. Casborne starts droning on about the treaty of Versailles and I shut my ears off, I've never liked history.

Lewis

Marie looks different since the last time I saw her, which was a while ago since I haven't been back to the London estate in almost two years. Whenever I did see her, it was in passing as I would get into the car or I'd be looking out the window watching her get into her car.

Clearly, I wasn't looking properly because she is actually..fit. Her long brown hair has bright pink streaks in it and she has her skirt rolled up just high enough so I can see some skin but low enough that she leaves some things up to the imagination.

As she sits down, she scrunches her button nose at me and looks me up and down with those big green eyes of hers that she's decided to paint with dark black eyeliner that would make most girls look like a raccoon, but she somehow makes it look good. She taps her long, red fingernails  on the desk in boredom and tries to sneak a glance at me out of her peripheral vision. I smirk at her, letting her know she's been caught.

Marie

'Fancy seeing you here, eh?' Lewis whispers, stroking my arm. I ignore him. Despite this, he carries on, 'We're a long way from London..' while still stroking my arm and staring at me with his stupid brown eyes I once loved.

'Congratulations, you can read a map,' I snap, pushing him away as he inches closer to me.

'Ooh, you're funny now?' He smirks, his eyes anywhere but my face. I feel sick.

'I'm hilarious, haven't you noticed?' I furrow my brow and fold my arms, suddenly self conscious of my chest area.

'Don't worry, Ree, I wasn't looking there,' Lewis slowly moves his eyes down to my thighs and puts his hand on them then bites his lip. Why is he calling me Ree? He calls me that as if we're ten again and nothing has changed. We're not ten anymore, and our lives could not be more different.

'You're disgusting, Lewis,' I hiss, dragging my chair backwards in an attempt to get as far away from him as I possibly can.  I can't believe he's acting like this. I knew he was a dick, but I'd never experienced it first hand. The Lewis I used to know was nothing like this. Then again, the Lewis I knew was ten. This Lewis is a sixteen year old, six foot something, muscly pig.

'You weren't calling me disgusting in that love letter you wrote me,' he grins smugly. I kick his leg, hard, underneath the table and he yelps in pain.

'Just because we go to the same school now doesn't mean we have to talk. So don't talk to me. Ever.' I turn away from him and rest my head on the table.

      I enter the dining hall for dinner, and Beth calls me over. I shook off earlier as Lewis just being typical, stupid Lewis and tried to get it out of my mind, indulging in frivolous, girly chatter.

'What do you think of the new boy, girls?' Beth asks us.

Rory, the girl who somehow knows everything about everyone pipes up, 'Apparently, he got kicked out of his last school for selling drugs.'