Cults of the Colovians

It is unsurprising that amongst Colovian soldiers the cults of Talos, Arkay, and Akatosh are most popular. In particular, the Lodge of Talos holds a great deal of sway amongst Cyrodiilic soldiers. Talos cultists (sometimes referred to as Talosites or Tiberians) bear more than a passing resemblance to the berserker lodges of the Nords. Adherents enter a trance-like state by chanting the name of Tiber Septim as a mantra and turning their minds solely to the persecution of war. This process is conducted by a rite master, often the most senior member of the fraternity within a given cohort. The rite is concluded with the imbibing of Colovian Battlewine which drives the drinker into a frenzy, which Talosites describe as "communing with Tiber Septim himself". Cultists claim to to experience waking visions where they can feel the "Tiber Spirit" guiding their hands in war.

Officially, these warrior lodges have been disavowed by the Imperial clergy as heretical but the religious tolerance of the Empire leaves them unpersecuted. The connection between the Lodge of Talos and the Red Dome Templars is unknown. It is surmised the Lodge of Talos emerged first as an unofficial warrior fraternity, the Red Dome Templars splitting off from the lodge sometime during the end of the Tiber Wars to become an officially recognized order. Certainly the practices of the Red Templars and the Talosites bear many striking similarities and some have derided the Lodge of Talos as the "poor man's Red Dome". The use of Colovian Battlewine in the war-trance could have naturally evolved into the drinking of incarnadine, the supposed blood of Tiber Septim himself. The Red Dome Templars and the Lodge of Talos appear to be divided along lines of rank: only officers (and Cyrodiils at that) may become Red Templars while the lodge is open to all who believe in Talosite rhetoric.

The Lodge of Talos is not limited to the Legion. Lodge brothers often continue to remain in contact with one another after entering into civilian life, helping ensure employment and secure positions within the Imperial administration. The propensity of cult alumni to remain firmly entrenched in both military and political positions of power has led to speculations of a "Tiberian conspiracy" that controls the Empire from the shadows. To date, such claims have remained unsubstantiated.

The Order of Akatosh's Blood is dedicated to the eponymous dragon god of time, placing special emphasis on his covenant with Slave-Queen Alessia and protector of the Empire. Embracing Akatosh as the patron deity of the Empire, the Order of Akatosh's Blood stands for unity in the face of revolt and upheaval. It is therefore no surprise that the cult grew in size and influence during the Imperial Simulacrum and the concurrent chaos of the Arnesian War. Though is cult is accepting of all races, it remains in majority Cyrodiilic.

Arkay is an understandably popular god among soldiers, for the life of a warrior is haunted forever by the specter of death. Patron of the medics who keep legionaries from passing into his realm before their time, Arkay is invoked in everything from pre-battle rituals to the burial rites. It is said that even the godless offer up a prayer to the Lord of the Wheel as they lay dying in the hope of securing a favorable place in the afterlife. The worship of Arkay also appeals to the more mystically inclined legionaries who call themselves Mortal Swords. These cultists hang rings (symbolizing the Wheel of Life and Death) from their armor and decorate their foreheads with painted yantras to ward off the ghosts of those they have killed. Legionaries particularly concerned with hauntings construct frightful totems carved with grotesque faces. These ugly idols are believed to frighten away the angry spirits and keep a legionary's dreams untroubled

Mortal Swords often counsel their fellow legionaries before going into battle, engaging in sin-eating rituals wherein the Mortal Sword takes on the guilt of the confessed. In doing so, it is believed that the legionary dies with a purified soul, the Mortal Sword having accepted the burden of their sins. Many Mortal Swords are the spiritual backbones of their units, working hand in hand with the priests assigned to the cohort to bring comfort and solace to troubled minds.

The Mortal Swords wield considerable power and influence at Fort Mournmoth, located outside of Bravil. The fort houses a large chapel devoted to Arkay below ground which contains the blessed bones of the dead. Within these catacombs, the Mortal Swords give offerings to their slain comrades and ask for their intercession in battle.