Accidents Happen Pt. 1

I apologize for this being short ^^'

..............

Smudger felt his 'heart' pounding in his boiler as he tried to control his breathing.

Since he started working again a week ago, he's been trying to show that he wants to change - but fate is ruthlessly working against him.

He has always been late with his deliveries - and he had a small derailment on top of that.

He'd been quickly re-railed, but by then the damage was done. He'd had a lecture from Mr. Percival and some disappointment from Sir Handel and Duke.

He clenched his eyes shut as remembered that day, his quick breathing and the pleading of not turning him into a generator again as he had an anxiety attack - made worse by the look of disappointment on Duke's face when he arrived with Mr. Percival.

It had been the same look given to him decades ago.

"Smudger!"

Smudger jumped before seeing Aurora walking in front of him. "You scared me." He sighed before smiling a fraction. "S-So, what brings you here?"

"I wanted to see how you were doing." Aurora purred happily, only to frown on seeing his face. "Are you alright?"

"Y-yeah, just exhausted is all." Smudger chuckled nervously. "I'm still getting used to working again."

Aurora frowned. Whilst Smudger was being honest about adapting to working life again, she couldn't help but feel something was amiss.

"Is there... anything else, bothering you?" She asked.

Smudger debated telling her. On one buffer, he could really use a sympathetic ear. But, on the other buffer, if word about his doubt in himself, and his unreliability these past few days spread too far and too much, he might end up being converted back into a generator.

"Just... ironing some kinks, Sunshine," he said with a forced cheerfulness.

Aurora wasn't convinced, but she decided trying to pry further would not work.

"If you say so..." Aurora said softly, her tail twitching slightly. "Anyway, I wanted to hang out with you today and watch you work." She purred happily.

Smudger blinked. "...Oh?" He asked, his voice pitching a bit. "Y-You sure you don't want to hang with any of the others?"

"Yep!" Aurora nodded. "I haven't hung out with you since you started working again."

"I-I see." Smudger muttered quietly, biting his lip.

"And it'll be great to see Bertram again." Aurora purred happily as she happily sat on his footplate.

"Yeah...great..." Smudger sighed softly.

He saw Aurora look at him again, but he decided to keep quiet and head on anyway.

He moved forward, impatient to leave - and he heard a - thump! - followed by a muffled curse.

"Isabel!"

...

Five minutes later, Frances was frantically phoning Mr. Percival to inform him of the accident. She hated the thought of incriminating Smudger with his luck so poor - but accidents couldn't be ignored, and Isabel had thrown up not long after hitting her head on Smudger's controls, so a concussion was immediately suspected.

"It was an accident, Smudger." Aurora told him, dismayed.

He was nonetheless horrified. "I... I hurt someone." He whispered.