Chapter 13: The Owl And The Sun

"Diana? Diana!"

I opened my weary eyes to see Dylan's grinning face shining with tears. I was back on the Pegasus, in the Infirmary.

"You're alive! Thank Chaos! Oh, Diana we all thought you were—" He was cut off by Amara.

"DIANA! Thank Chaos, you're alive." she breathed a sigh of relief.

I tried to jump out of bed but then the pain hit me. So I opened my arms and she hugged me. As she backed away, she winced and I noticed cuts all over her arms.

"Amara...you're okay! I was so worried about you! Did they hurt you?"

"Yeah...kind of," she shuddered. "They kept me in a frozen chamber... It looked a bit like a bedroom. Diana.. I'm so sorry for getting so worked up with you in the mess hall. That could've been- it could've been the last time I saw you." She turned away, tears in her eyes.

I forgave her immediately, stroking her hair slowly. "It's okay, Amara. I'm alright now."

Slowly everyone came in. I got hugs, and many tears of relief were shed. Lastly, I saw Avani.

"Diana," she sniffled, "I thought I'd lost you..."

I hugged her for what seemed like forever.

"But on a happier note," she said, drying her tears, "you now have a shock of light blue in your hair from Khione's strike. You make quite the fashion statement!"

We laughed and Avani smiled at me. Just then, I remembered about my earrings, opening my mouth to tell her about it.

"Avani? I had a...vision. I-" Before I could finish my sentence, Leia burst into the room, her bow and arrows slung across her back.

"WHERE IS SHE?!" She spotted me and sprinted to my bed. "DIANA JANE FORTIA, DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH DANGER YOU PUT YOURSELF IN?! YOU COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED! I'm so proud of you!"

"Hey, Leia. I didn't expect that last bit...but I'll take it." We hugged, and she kissed me on the forehead lovingly, her tears falling onto my hair. Kai helped me stand up and we all made our way to the mess hall.

Dylan asked if he could have me for a minute. To my surprise, Kai grinned and agreed. Dylan and I walked down the corridor, him watching my every step. He seemed to be very focused on my feet.

"Diana, I-I wanted to apologise. I totally bailed during the battle with Khione. Things would've turned out differently if I had the guts to fight. You wouldn't have gotten hurt, or nearly died... I'm really sorry. Oh, and uh... I made this for you." He hung his head as he gave me a beautiful necklace with an orange cord and a tiny charm—an owl flying before the sun. It was the necklace from the dream I had what seemed like aeons ago.

My breath caught. I leaned against the wall and clasped the necklace around my neck. "Sunny, it's breathtaking. Did you- did you have the dream too?"

He nodded.

"I guess we're connected somehow." I paused. "Dylan, you've been an amazing friend this whole trip, and you've helped me in ways you don't know you did. Thank you."

I enveloped him in a tight hug, standing on the tips of my toes to plant a gentle kiss on his nose. As I turned around to go, I giggled at the look of shock on his now-crimson face.

I excused myself to my bunk for a short while. Walking in, I looked around. My eyes fell on the hunting horn Callidora had given me before I went to retrieve the Sword of Wisdom.

Kneeling at the foot of my bed with my eyes closed, I held up the horn.

"Councillor Callidora, I am eternally grateful for your gift of this horn, but I feel I'm not worthy of this honour. Please, bestow the horn upon someone more fitting."

As I opened my eyes, I watched the horn fade away.

I strolled into the mess hall, content with my decision. Dylan glanced at me, and I winked. (I didn't think his face could get any redder).

After a meal, I felt much better. I decided to talk to Avani about the earrings, and let everyone know that our quest wasn't completely over.

I pulled Avani aside, whispering into her ear.

"There's something I need to tell you about. I think... I think the earrings Dad gave me have the potion he made to melt the ice inside them." Her eyes widened in shock as I described my vision to her. She helped me stand and commanded the room's attention.

"Our quest isn't over. There's one more thing we need to do." She explained the last leg of their journey. Avani turned to Mateo, and he nodded to her, exiting the room to plot our course.

When we arrived back in Eryna, the atmosphere was filled with excitement and urgency. We scrambled off the Pegasus, everyone eager to touch familiar ground once more. Amidst the excitement, I walked slowly, leaning on Dylan's shoulder for support. He guided me gently, understanding the gravity of my emotions at that moment.

We made our way towards the tip of the ice. The cold air nipped at my skin, sending shivers down my arms. I came to a halt, placing my hand on the solid, icy surface before me.

I took off the earrings, holding them gently in my trembling hand. The moment felt so anticipated, as if the world held its breath. Avani and Kai laid their hands on my shoulders, ever supportive of me with their strength.

Summoning every ounce of resolve within myself,I tapped the glass of the earring against the ice, a resonant chime piercing the air. A crack appeared, spreading like a spider's web, and in an instant, the glass shattered into countless fragments. We watched in awe as a vibrant red liquid emerged, dripping slowly onto the frozen mass.

Time seemed suspended as we witnessed the final drop leave the shattered remains of the glass. Then it happened.

The earring, once fragmented and broken, began to reform itself. The shards aligned seamlessly, weaving together as if driven by an unseen force. The transformation unfolded like a mesmerising dance of unity and resilience. And in the end, the earring emerged whole once more, a symbol of triumph over adversity.

The people of Eryna, now unfrozen, ran back and forth, embracing their loved ones and thanking us profusely. They cheered, shouting my name as their saviour.

Overwhelmed by a surge of emotions, tears cascaded down my face, blending with the cold droplets that fell from above. A smile blossomed upon my lips, a mixture of joy, relief, and a profound sense of fulfilment. The weight of responsibility had been lifted, replaced by a newfound sense of purpose and continuity.

"You did it, Diana." Avani said under her breath. "His legacy has been carried on." She kissed me on the head and we turned to leave.