Chapter VI

Nyx

It would seem the Mother, or the Cauldron, has granted my wish for a distraction.

If we're going to the Spring Court... 

Emaline will be there.

"When do we leave?" Amaris asks.

Yes, when do we leave? So I can prepare for seeing Emaline again. Why do I care so much? Not sure.

My father takes a seat in one of the armchairs, my mother perching on the arm. The front door bangs open and the whole family storms into the house.

"Rather presumptuous for those pricks to just declare that Gwyn will host everyone," Cassian complains as he strides into the living room. Nesta and the twins following him. "In two days, no less."

Then comes Gwyn, Emerie, and Azriel. Amren is nowhere to be seen.

"It's a test," Gwyn says with certainty.

"Absolutely," Emerie agrees, crossing her arms.

"So what's the plan?" Nesta asks.

The three of them. The Valkyries. A formidable force not to be messed with. And with the other High Lords practically telling Gwyn that she will be hosting them in two days...I pity them. Because I don't think they're expecting to be dealing with Emerie and Nesta, too.

Azriel has been quiet. Which is not unusual for him, but judging by the look on his face, I'm guessing that he doesn't like this situation one bit, and is doing his best to let his mate handle it as she will.

"We're going back to the Spring Court," Gwyn declares. "With only two days to prepare for their arrival, it'll be close, but I always did like a challenge."

Something sparks in Az's eyes at that, but I choose not to think about it too much. We all know Gwyn has a competitive side. And we also know that it's one of the things Azriel loves most about her.

"We are at your disposal," my father tells her. "Whatever you need, just let us know."

She dips her head slightly. "Thank you." 

Athen and Anein stumble over to Amaris and me, eyes sleepy, and wiggle their way in between us on the couch. Honestly, sugar is their booze. They're acting like they have a hangover. And speaking from experience, those are not  fun. Anein leans against me, and Athen against Mari. My sister and I share a bemused look over our cousins' heads.

"When are you leaving?" Emerie asks Gwyn.

She says, "Within the hour."

"Good," Nesta says. "We'll go with you." She comes over to us and kisses her daughters on their foreheads before leaving with her friends, talking and planning as they go. 

"Where's Amren?" Cassian asks. "Figured she'd be here."

"Don't know," my mother tells him. "But I don't want to be anywhere near her when she learns that Tarquin signed that note. Regardless if Varian tried to stop him or not. Because I doubt it's just congratulations the other High Lords want to give Gwyn. Other, more serious, matters is never anything good."

"I agree," Uncle Az says, breaking the brooding silence that surrounds him.

"So what do we do?" Mari asks.

The three Illyrians and my mother all face her. My father says, "We get ready to go to the Spring Court. We'll leave tonight at the earliest, so we have time to help out If we can." He turns toward his brother. "Azriel, you have people in Spring already, or do you need more?"